Dear Jenny
The topic of the post was not offered as a discussion point- it was offered
as a suggestion for an in-context, real-life way of helping senior students
develop their critical literacy skills so that they can find out the facts
and make an informed opinion based on them.

And given the bias that some administrators seem to have toward using the
Internet as a research tool as the first port of call, I offered the
suggestions and the websites as an excellent way of demonstrating that the
Internet has a very valid place in information-gathering in these sorts of
circumstances.

It is not often that such ready-made situations arise for us to explore like
this with easy access to both sides of how the story is being reported in
various countries and the facts and figures behind it.  Let's use them when
we get them, I believe!

Kia ora
Barbara

Barbara Braxton