After several years of hearing the word maybe I was recently told we will
automate the libraries I have this year. I have been ready for this .
Previously I went through all hardback books, made certain they had a shelf
list card, put the L.C. number or ISBN number on each card. I have really
weeded the collection also.
I had not given much thought to the paperback collection which probably
numbers 500-700. In recent years I have added  popular title paperbacks and
now out of the 400 books checked out in a given day about 100 are
paperbacks. I know they are going to fall apart in a year or two.
My question is how do you handle the paperbacks in automating?  Do you give
them a temporary barcode each time or do you go ahead and barcode them as
you would a hardback book? Our class periods are 45 minutes and I wonder how
long it would take me in a period to give them a temp record each time.
Paperbacks are also the first book in our collection which disappears each
year. People come in on days I am not there and help themselves to these
since they do not think they are as expensive.
Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom about paperbacks. I need all the
help I can get. We will be using the automating system the middle schools
use and it is Library Pro.Any words of wisdom about that would be
appreciated.
Pat Reyburn,
Librarian, King and Nielson School Galesburg, IL
preyburn@home.com