LM_NETers,

After many years of teachers wanting their equipment all at the same time
and feeling like I was in the crosshairs of lethal weapons I came up with a
solution that worked for me.  Wish I'd thought of it earlier.

I had teachers fill out a form with their name, room number, dept (lots of
new people this year) and equipment they wanted i.e. overhead, TV/VCR, any
other equipment, and whether they absolutely needed it the first day. I told
them I wasn't sure I had enough.  If people didn't need equipment that they
already had or were willing to share, please indicate that, too.

There were teachers who admitted they had 3 overhead projectors and could
spare them, etc.  The cooperation was wonderful and everyone was asked their
needs.

I pulled the equipment out, arranged it by department around the library and
fortunately had enough to meet their immediate needs.  I posted a pick up
schedule - 1 pm LA, 1:15 SS, 1:30 Math, etc, and didn't allow early pickup.

I passed the schedule around to the department heads, explaining that I'd
like to avoid a "running of the bulls at Pamplona" and California Gold Rush.
Many of them giggled at my description of their behavior and got the point.

The result was an orderly pickup - the best I've ever had.

--
Sue Weiss
Librarian