Thanks everyone for your ideas!  Here's the list for you....

I once worked with a wonderful librarian from England
who every so often would dress up as Dr. Book (A man's
oxford shirt will work).  She would then use discarded
books as props and proceed to fix the patient-with
book tape, etc. and discuss how the patient became
ill.  If you have a kid's MD bag, you can fill it with
tape, book cleaner, etc, anything to help make the
patient well.  It always gets a few laughs and the
kids remember that lesson!

This isn't terribly creative but....
I have a white box I call the Book Hospital.  It has a flippable sign
reading the book hospital is empty (smiley face) on one side and the book
hospital has patients on the other.  I talk to the kindergarten students
about how hurt you have to be to go to the hospital so that they don't get
over anxious about sending every little tear to the book hospital.  (The
doctor doesn't have time to put bandaids on every little scrape that you
get.....)  I think the book the Library Dragon talks about the book
hospital.  Maybe that's where I got the idea.
This was not my idea first, but I have a "No, No, Never" box.  In the box I
have an empty potato chip container, a bottle of red water (Kool-Aid),
candy, scissors, and a puppy stuffed animal (to represent a dog).  I usually
have the students come up and pick something out of the box.  Then we try to
figure out what all of these things have in common (they should never be
used around a library book).  As we put the items back into the box, the
whole class chants "No, No, Never!"

This could be put into a display by having whatever ruined the books
displayed with the books (i.e.  we have one book that was put in a backpack
with bubbles and the container burst, leaving the book a wrinkly mess).
You could set up a book graveyard for the ones beyond repair, and a Book
Hospital for the ones that could be rescued...

I used this idea at the end of last year, but it was with old/worn books ,
not necessarily "damaged".  I held a "Dime Sale" and displayed the books by
genre.  I made $47 for the library - and used it to purchase bookmarks and
other little trinkets.  The students were thrilled to go home with a few
books, even if they were rather worn.   :
   Here is one very tiny discarded book idea that will not even make a dent
in
your pile of discarded books, but you might find it useful for one or two:
   Save the illustrations to use in making a poster to use when you do an
author/illustrator study. We had a demolished copy of The Very Quiet Cricket
by
Eric Carle with enough salvageable pages to make a really nice poster to use
with our Eric Carle study. There was even a good little cricket picture that
laminated, added broom straw antennae, and wore as a pin!

Julie De Vries
Zeeland Christian School
Zeeland, MI
jdevrie1@remc7.k12.mi.us