Many thanks to the people who responded to my plea to help the teacher who
wanted to do a project with her business math students that involved using
numbers from the 2000 census report, including median income, household
expenditures, median value of the average home, average family size,
savings and debt rates, etc for York County or PA. Using the average income
for a typical family, the students will also be learning about the housing
available for that income level, the types of jobs with earnings at that
level, what a typical budget might look like, buying a
car, insurance, etc.

Following are some of the responses I received. I really enjoyed the first
site myself.  It was interesting to see all the information about where I
am living.

http://homeadvisor.msn.com/pickaplace/FindCity.asp

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/42/42133.html

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html

http://www.census.gov

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/BasicFactsServlet

"Call the US Census Bureau and ask them for information, reports, handouts,
etc. I taught a unit on the US census several years ago. They sent me a
plethora of information. I was given reports, empty census forms, and all
kinds of items to hand out to the students."

"Your local government depository library. Work with the documents
librarian, some of the info is online, most is available on CD, also your
congressional personnel are often helpful in obtaining documents/DC's for
your library."

Diane Greenholt, Librarian
South Western High School
Phone 717-633-4820