Question one is easy. Yes, that's a virus. If it is happening at school,
make sure you tech people know. If it is at home, you should download
some antivirus software.

Now the important(and not so easy) one.

I would have to say the Bookfair vid isn't a lesson in itself, even
though it is promoting reading. But there is no library skill being
taught there other than a tangential 'choosing a good book' Not having
some assessment or feedback about the tape also reduces the learning
value of the time spent watching. He may be overboard asking for an
individual written response. How about doing some collaborative work in
pairs or triads? Each person could contribute to the ideas, the writing,
and the editing of responses.

What are your state and district learning requirements (Essential
Learning, Frameworks, Academic Requirements, etc) Frame your lessons to
address them. Just reading a story won't necessarily address them
without some 'set'. Why that particular story: ie plot, setting, or
character elements; comparing two versions of illustrations of a
particular Fairy Tale; introducing a genre or a section of the library,
etc. Point to the LR that the lesson fits.

Also, trying to collaborate and do lessons 'just in time (or in
classroom context) often just isn't possible. Is your principal asking
for curriculum maps from the teachers? That is a way to schedule your
lessons.

Note also that district offices may note how many people ask to transfer
out of a building and how many ask to transfer in. Interesting
statistic.

Also, be aware that the library and the librarian should be an
information center as well as a place to find a book to read.  Make sure
you are covering research skills thoroughly. Selecting sources, reading
for and extracting information, taking notes, and organization are all
vital parts of information literacy and that is really our domain. Who
else in your building has that expertise?

For a quick start, check out www.big6.com An excellent IL research
process with many resources.

Robert Eiffert,
Librarian at Image Elementary