I just want to say thanks for all your responses.  You
gave me some great ideas, and the booktalk went really
well.  Some people asked for a hit, so here it is.

How about the huge number of Hollywood types that got
banned in the 50's because of the McCarthy witch hunt
like Charlie Chaplin.

Maya Angelou - I know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl
Judy Blume - Judy Blume's Story

What about a biography of Elvis Presley, Henry Miller,
D. H. Lawrence or Margaret Sanger?  They all had to
deal with censorship.

Hmm.  Maya Angelou, a writer, has seen her biography,
I Kow Why the Caged Bird Sings, challenged and perhaps
banned.  I wonder if Gandhi would fall into that
category too, as the British jailed him to keep
him quiet. He is perhaps more in the line of
leadership than career ed., though. Wasn't Enrico
Fermi effectively shut out by the US government
several years after the Manhattan Project?

The author of the Scarlet Letter -- problems of the
McCarthy Era

Can't think of a lot of names off the top of my head,
but the authors, scriptwriters, filmmakers and actors
who were blacklisted during the McCarthy era, due to
communism would be good.  I think Orson Welles, F.
Scott Fitzgerald, and many many more were affected.
Should be possible  to research pretty easily.  Good
luck.

Mark Twain is another because Huckleberry Finn has
been censored since it was written.  Judy Blume is
another author greatly affected by censorship in fact
she even stopped writting for children for several
years
because of it.

How about Soul on Ice (I think that's the title). It
is the biography of Eldridge Cleaver and made some
news if I remember correctly in the 70s.

Mark Twain? Kurt Vonnegut? John Steinbeck? Jesus?
Desmond Tutu? Martin
Luther?

Malcolm X? some women in their fields before it was
acceptable?? Marie
Curie? Dorothea Lang?

Joseph McCarthy- he wasn't banned but silenced many

Salman Rushdie? Nelson Mandela? Joan of Arc?
Or, how about some of the authors whose works have
been censored? Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)? James
Joyce (Ulysses)?

=====
Anita Beaman
Media Director
Olympia High School
Stanford, IL
alibrarylover@yahoo.com

Life is too short to read bad books or drink bad wine.

http://im.yahoo.com