My first posting of this was rejected because it was
so long, so I have cut in half.  there will be a 1A
and 1B will follow.  This just means I have another
opportunity to say, "Thank you all!"

Kaline Goodrich
Hermon Elem. & Middle School Librarian
Hermon, ME

Kaline--I have done simple bibliography lessons with
sixth graders in
the past by
spreading a number of craft books out on the tables,
preferably a
couple of
months before Christmas, and having the kids select
different projects
they
thought they might like to do and composing them into
a bibliography.

This was much more interesting for them then just
arranging the titles
of books
for no reason.  You could do the same thing the next
week with craft
websites--

Good luck,
Nancy Schiffer

I made a worksheet for students to
use to teach bibliography.  I titled it "Where Did You
Get That Information?" I made an activity out of it by
placing an encyclopedia, a book, a magazine on each
table.  The students then had to write the necessary
information down for each material.  We don't have
student Internet access so I didn't go into that, but
gave
them an example in case they used it at home.

Laura Strickland, LMS

I work in a middle school with 7th and 8th graders.  I
am always
changing the way I teach bibliography.

*  Each student is given a copy of the bibliography
format and blank
index cards.  I use their textbooks as examples.  We
do one textbook
together.  I show example on the blackboard.  Then
students do another
textbook on their own.  After examples are completed,
I rotate the students
through other examples.  Print encyclopedia, web
encyclopedia,
magazine, book with multiple authors.  The resources I
choose are related to a
topic they are studying.  When bib cards are
completed, I take them to
the computer lab and the students produce a
bibliography page using the
bib cards.

*  Presently, I'm working with a 7th grade team on
bibliography.  I'm
teaching bibliography different.  I reproduced the
worksheets from
PowerTools (Joyce Valenza) available from ALA.  The
top of the worksheet has
citation information the bottom has a place for notes.
 At the end of
the week, the students will produce a bibliography
page using the
worksheets.

Hope this helps,
Michelle Marhefka

I don't know if this is any help, but I teach in a p-
5th grade
elementary
school.  I have created bib sheets and I attach them
to the wall near
the
reference area.  they are color coded, so if a kid is
doing a book bib,
they
grab a pink sheet, encyclopedia - orange, internet
-yellow, cd's -
green.  I
will try and attach the sheet.
nope, not on this computer...
it looks like:
BOOK BIB FORM
author's last name ___________________, author's first
name
__________________.  Title of book_______________ etc.
etc.
They fill in the blanks EVERY time they use a
resource, and I have
third
graders doing this.  They staple the bib forms ONTO
their power
outline,
which we use as a form for taking notes.  Later they
get a lesson on
how to
take the bib forms, sort them by color and then how to
create a
bibliography
page for their reports.  Does this help???  The key is
having the forms
handy and easy to fill in.  Each bib form is a half
sheet of paper, but
it
could be smaller.  They are part of my library
woodwork.

jonie fitzsimmons MIRLS

Hi,
I am teaching MLA to 5th-8th grades this year for the
first time (I'm in a PreK-8th school).  I spoke to the
English dept chair for the public high school (across
the street from our school) and the 3 Catholic high
schools in town for the format they use -- MLA of
course!

I gave each student a handout of all the MLA formats
to keep in their library folder as they would be
seeing this info again and again.  I explained that I
was helping them prepare for high school by teaching
them this necessary info.

In our first lesson, I explained we would be learning
and discussing how to write citations for all types of
media but that we would do only one type of book,etc
at a time.  I also told them we would be learning how
to take notes to write a great research paper.  I then
gave each child a book from the shelf and we discussed
what info was needed (author, title, publisher, etc.).
 I used my MLA handbook (5th ed) as an example and had
each student write the citation for the book they had.
 With the exception of a few everyone was able to find
the info and correctly write the book citation.

We'll also discuss how to write citations for other
types of works but first we'll be using the
encyclopedia to learn how to use notecards to take
notes for a research paper.

Hopefully everything goes as I hope this year with
this project.  Good luck to you!

Gail

Just a thought-
I talk about bibliographies in relation to the credits
at the end of a
movie.
It is not the best analogy but it gets the kids
interested . (I do it
with
5th graders). After a mini-lesson on proper format and
several
citations
created as a group, the students pair up and create
citations from
carefully
selected items.

I do the mini-lesson on a white board with colored
markers for each
element.
It jazzes things up a little and keeps their
attention.

The kids create their own "style" manual for future
use.
Good luck.

Nancy

Kaline - I work in a middle school and here's what I
do:

First, I have prepared worksheets for books,
encylopedias, mags and Internet.  Kids have to fill in
the lines
with the correct information.  I start with books.  We
talk about what a bibliography is necessary and we go
over where to find the information for the
bibliography.  Students fill in the correct info in
the sheets. Then
we talk about taking brief notes from books.  I always
use a set of Biography Today books for this, plus a
few other collective biography books.  Students take
about 13 minutes to choose a person to read about
and take some notes.  Then they have about 10 minutes
to write a short paragraph based on their notes.
 With the time remaining students stand up and read
their paragraphs and the class has to guess who
their person is.  We usually run out of time and they
come back the next day to finish.  I do another lesson
with computer printouts and talk about highlighting
notes and how to do a bibliography for that format.  I
could send you a copy of these forms if you would
like. Let me know.

Joanie Marstiller, LMS

Hi, Kaline:

I teach 8th and try my best with this task!  Most
still don't get
it--is it
developmental??

I have a stack of newspapers in one part of the room,
nonfiction in
another
part, magazines, etc.  In small groups they visit each
station and fill
in
the information for each resource using this type of
form:

BOOK

________________, __________________.
_____________________________.
etc.
Author last name      Author first name
          Title

MAGAZINE

________________, __________________.
"____________________________".
etc.
Author last name      Author first name
        Article
title

etc.

After they've completed this sheet, they must write
the bibliography
citations on their own piece of paper (indenting
second line,
Bibliography
(centered) as title, alpha order) getting all the
punctuation, caps,
quotation marks, etc., correct.

At least this method has a little
get-up-and-move-around activity in
it.

Hope this helps!

I have made worksheets for the fifth graders to put in
their research
folders.  I begin with a bibliographic citation for a
book.   (Later I
add encyclopedia, article, video, etc.)
First I make a list of the information that is needed.
 Then I make a
sample format for the children to use AFTER they have
listed the
necessary parts.  Then we write the citation
correctly.  We work
together using one of their textbooks  I print the
worksheet on both
sides.  On the other side, the kids do the same thing
with a book they
are using for their report.

It's really difficult for them.  The task requires a
lot of one-on-one
AND "repetition."

Lynne Milner, LMS

You might want to try NoodleBib - I introduced it to
my juniors last
year
and both the teachers and students think it is a life
saver.
www.noodletools.com

Jennie Hoffman

Hi Kaline,

This is Chris. I am teaching my fifth graders the same
MLA right now.
The first thing is to make sure it's tied in with a
research paper or
book report. Or the kids won't care about it at all.
Now, with my kids,
I designed a sample card, which I used on my overhead.
Then, I had kids
bring cards with them, and we did it together. I
handed out fiction
books and together, we found the title and author.
Then, I showed them
where the publisher, date and location were. It went
well, as I
collected the cards and gave them to the teachers.
They gave them
grades, too.

Good luck.

I have a hand out with examples for each student. No
matter what, they
won't
remember everything you say. I used overheads for
examples during the
lesson. Maybe you could have groups of 2-3 students
each have a
magazine,
book, encyclopedia, and each group writes the bib and
shares it with
the
class after you have already gone through it with
everyone. That way
they
get immediate practice and feedback.

Good luck.

Hi Kaline!

I work with teens, but the automatic MLA works cited
page is our
students favorite.  It is called NoodleBib.
Check it out with the following URL.  Up at the top of
the page it says
"select a type" or something like that and it is a
pull down menu.
Select a book or magazine and let them type in the
information in the
various boxes.  Play around with the cite and you'll
see that students
can create an entire works cited page.  I hope that it
isn't too
advanced.
Good luck on your presentation!
--
http://www.noodletools.com/noodlebib/

Carol Hall, Librarian

Check out the website for noodletools.com It makes
great biblios, kids just feed it info needed.
Barbara

Although I probably stole this idea, I don't remember
where it came
from
(maybe me?!) - I created a 'birth certificate' the
students had to fill
in
after an explanation from me - the parent is the
author, the baby's
name the
title, the hospital the publisher, city & date. Then
they drew a 'baby
picture' on the bottom - an idea from the book or even
copied the
cover.
After the certificate, take those elements into the
format of the
bibliographic citation.  I did it with 4th grade, but
I don' t think
there
is a lesson out there that can't be modified to fit a
different age
group.
Might be too cutesy for middle-schoolers, but it also
reinforces the
idea of
intellectual property.  good luck - Martha

I, myself, almost died of boredom trying to teach
bibliography skills
kids.  I now just spend a period or two going over the
kind of info
that
is required.  I keep plenty of "cheat sheets" one for
print and one for
non-print by the copy machine.  We "charge" the kids a
citation before
they are allowed to make a copy.  Each time they do
one, we check it
out
and go over their mistakes, what they might have
missed, etc.  For
sixth
graders, I just ask that the available info is written
out, and don't
worry about the punctuation or even the order. We
leave that to their
teachers. We are more strict with eighth graders.

By the way, we have them write out the bibliographic
info on a sheet of
white copy paper.  Then, when we make the copy, we run
that sheet
through
backwards (upside-down), so that the bibliography is
on the backside of
the last page of the copied article.  This has
definitely cut down on
the
- "Mrs. B I have lost my bibliography on a book.  It's
in a red book
about
the Civil War..... or maybe it's blue?..." type of
panicky visit from a
student.

They are so well trained I hardly ever have to remind
them.  As a
matter
of fact, I have more problems with teachers who tell
the kids that no
citation is needed - for those dodos, I ask that they
at least request
that the kids give the title of the source or the url
of an internet
site,
and remind them of the importance of accountability.
The teachers
probably
don't look at it, but the kids think they do, so they
do not complain
when
we insist on a citation.

(The only down-side to this is that we have to keep
reminding the
students that they also need bibliographic info when
they just take
notes
and do not make a copy!)

Susan