Hello, all,
         A couple of days ago I posted a target asking for help with OPAC
worksheets. I had a teacher who was in an absolute panic over getting some
worksheets to use with her children. I told her I was going to work with
her children on Friday (tomorrow) on that very thing, but she had to have
something that night! And she specifically told me to ask "your listserv"
(yes, I talk about y'all all the time), so I did.
         Please understand that I am very much aware that different OPAC's
use different search strategies and that each catalog is different, etc.
But she had some kind of generic worksheet from the reading series (Scott
Foresman), and she wanted more! She met me at the library door the next
morning with a worksheet that she had made the previous night that was
modeled after the workbook, I gave her some more titles, authors, etc., and
I think the crisis is over.
         Meanwhile, I received many more requests for a hit than anything
else, some advice for making my own sheets, one offer from someone who was
willing to mail or fax me worksheets, and one website that includes a
worksheet specific to the OPAC at that school.
         Thanks to those who took the time to write me. I did a lesson on
the OPAC today (which went extremely well) with my fourth graders and one
class of fifth graders, will do it again tomorrow with 3rd graders and the
other two 5th's, including the class of the teacher above. We will practice
using the OPAC for a while, and I will develop some worksheets specific to
my collection. Hopefully, the teacher will chill or she will have a
breakdown before test time!
         By the way, she asked me for this as she was picking her class UP
from their library time on Tuesday. If there was ever an argument for
flexible scheduling, this would be one!
         Here is the URL for the one website, but the worksheet is really
just a model for developing one's own, as it is specific to that school. If
anyone wants to read the advice I received for making one's own worksheets,
please write me and I will forward.
http://www.npbhs.school.nz/Library/CatalogueWorksheet.htm

Nancy Dickinson, Librarian
Hillsboro Elem. School