> Our PPC is in the process of trying to do an evaluation/survey
> by the faculty of the building principals. Each building will
> evaluate the administrators and give the "instrument" to the
> principal so no one else sees it.  Some administrators are
> positive about the ways they can use this; others are
> extremely agitated by this whole idea and are saying (as a
> threat) that we will have an instrument for student evaluation
> of teachers. Have any of you done this sort of evaluation
> before? I  would like to hear from you if this kind of
> evaluation is done in your schools. Thanks.
> George Anne Draper, librarian
> Wynne High School, Wynne, AR
> gdraper@wynne.k12.ar.us

In my school, student evaluation of teachers would not be effective as a
threat, since we do it regularly.  At the end of most of my larger units, I
do a teacher evaluation of student work, they do a student self-evaluation
(without having seen my assessment), and a student evaluation of the lesson.
My only rules are that any criticism must be constructive.  I don't slam
students, and expect the same respect from them.  Also, if it is not
constructive, we can't use it to help us improve.  We have discussed the
benefits of constructive compliments( This was an effective part) and
constructive criticisms (This could have been improved by...).  I have never
felt disrespected by anything the children have said, and to being honest
about what I have done, they have been very perceptive of the strengths and
weaknesses or my lessons.

As for principal evaluation, Yes, we are a part of that process also.

--
Gail Smith, Librarian and Technology Coordinator
Edison Regional Gifted Center, Chicago