Hi: It's at:  http://members.ocean.com.au/dettmerw/poems/pocket.html

And I pasted it below in case the link doesn't work:

There's A Poem In My Pocket

There's a poem in my pocket.
I keep it there for you.
If ever you should need one, let me know.
It's awf'ly thin and wrinkled, you can almost see right through.
I wrote it, just in case, so long ago.
There's a poem in my pocket. I read it now and then.
I know it back to front and front to back.
I wrote it spesh'ly for you with my trusty ball point pen.
The paper's white, the writing, well it's black.
There's a poem in my pocket wrapped up tight with loving care.
I know it upside down and end to end.
It's just a little poem about life and being fair
And it whispers "I'm so glad that we are friends".
There's a poem in my pocket, here, I'll show you, this is it.
Oh no! the wind just carried it away.
I've had it for the longest time. It was my favorit'
And now it's gone I don't know what to say.
That poem in my pocket, well it's gone and that is that.
I had planned to give it to you any day.
I just had to pick the moment, but that's it! Oh gosh! Oh drat!
How awful, now I'm all in disarray.
Wait a minute, just a tick, things may not be all that bad.
For I've memorised the thing from start to end.
With another bit of paper from my handy writing pad
I'll write the whole thing out for you again.
I might just add a word or two or three or four or eight
and change the start, or maybe change the meter.
The fact that you've not seen it yet could possibly be great.
Why, I could make the love bits even sweeter.
Oh it's really no disaster after all, things aren't that rough.
Here just give me a minute and we'll see.
I'll tidy up the rhythm and the flow and other stuff.
Perhaps from one I'll possibly get three.
I started with a poem in my pocket which I'd kept
Lost it, then rewrit it top to tail.
So now it's yours look after it and please from me accept
An offer to redo it when it's stale.

Previous | Index | Next

CW.J.Dettmer. Bears Choice Music And Entertainment. 1996

Reggie Buresh, Librarian
Mahtomedi High School
Mahtomedi, MN 55115-1795
rburesh@mahtomedi.k12.mn.us