I have made teaching citation techniques and avoiding plagiarism my mission
in life.  One of the teachers I am working with does not think either of us
is making any headway with the basic underlying attitdudes that our kids
have about it.  They just do not seem to feel that there is anything
unethical about it.  We are working with 11th graders on a long term
project.  Their works cited lists are in.  They have done a good job with
that because a good chunk of their grade depended on it - and I was grading
it, so they knew someone who knows their way around the internet would be
grading them not only for format, but to make sure the sites were reputable.
However - they were very resistant to the whole presentation we made,
insisting that no college professor was ever going to be checking their
sources in any great detail.   No one cares about the quality of the sources
used.  As long as they used a lot of sources and put together a lot of
support for their thesis from a lot of different sources, no one would ever
catch them anyway.  Etc. etc. etc.  Their papers have not been turned in
yet - so checking for possible plagiarism is still ahead of us.

Does anyone know of magazine articles or websites explaining the ethical
reasons for creating one's own work, rather than cobbling together the work
of others?  Something that students can relate to?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those that wander are lost
        ~~J. R. R. Tolkien~~