My computer does the same thing.  We have Windows XP and a cable internet
connection--which is FAST.  When we aren't using the computer, it goes into
a "sleep" mode but when I move the mouse to activate the screen it tells me
how many new emails I have from both my Internet provider AND my hotmail
account.

Now my personal opinion, ...I think we have too much installed, but my
husband has "techno-lust" and installs, downloads, and buys anything that is
"bigger, faster, stronger, and more technologically advanced."  At this time
we have a camera lens that is staring down at me (so we can do the "Jetson
thing" and video conference with others who also have techno-lust.)  We also
use our telephone less since my husband has set-up our friends with the
online phone system that we have too. (There are a pair of earphones and a
microphone that are setting on the desk now awaiting a phone call from
family and friends...in between times, we listen to the radio online and our
favorite CD's on our computer stereo which is better than any stereo system
I've ever owned!  The speakers on this computer have to set on the
floor...I'm serious, these are very similar to the large, upright stereo
speakers that come with today's "surround sound" television systems.)  We do
the "Yahoo" and "AOL Instant Messenger" thing and talk to everyone who
doesn't have the telephone system available on their computer.

My husband (and now older son's) techno-lust has created a computer that I
think is much like "Hal" (from the movie and book:  2001: A Space Odyssey)
in our home. It does what it wants to do, when it wants to do it, and
refuses to allow anyone to do anything that "doesn't compute."

I expect that next week my computer will be making coffee and a continental
breakfast for me when I get up for work! *grin*

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley Upper School Library
Ft. Worth, Texas
sbrisco021@charter.net