Dear LM_NET-ters,

I need your help to correct a school LMS stereotype.

Are you familiar with the web-based message board site, Teachers.net?
There are over 100 topic-related and regional message boards. Used by
thousands of teachers across the U.S. and world, it is a teacher
resource akin to LM_NET.

In addition to its many teacher boards, the site has a librarians'
message board. Unfortunately, the librarians' board has been placed in
the "English Center" group on the site's main chat board page. The
English Center consists of the H.S. English, Books and Literature, A.R.,
and other reading-related boards. . In my opinion, this placement
communicates (to 1000's of teachers!) a very stereotypical view of
school librarianship. While these other "English Center" topics are
certainly relevant, the scope of librarianship is SO much more. I would
like for the board owners to place the board in a more appropriate
category, such as the more general "Interest Groups" area where the
Counselors, Administrators, Special Ed. and Private School boards are
grouped.

Here's how you can be of assistance: I started a thread on the
librarians' board asking school librarians to agree or disagree with my
opinion about the placement of the board. I hope some of you will
respond to my survey. Posting there is SO SIMPLE! Anyone can post a
message WITHOUT any kind of registration. You don't have to give your
real name, email address, or any other personal info.

Here's the link to my thread:
http://teachers.net/mentors/librarians/topic800/8.04.02.08.11.09.html

When you open the page, click the "Post a Response" button near the
bottom of the page if you want to leave a message.

By the way, I get *absolutely nothing* for this. My only motivation is a
hope to demonstrate to the board owners that the board is misplaced and
to persuade them to move the board to a more appropriate group. It's a
"small click for one librarian, giant leap for librarianship" kind of
thing... Okay, maybe not such a giant leap, but this just bugs me!

Even if you don't post a response on my thread, I'm sure you will find
the boards an excellent resource through which to communicate with
educators across the U.S. and world.

Wow, you read the whole message! Thanks!

Diane Strickland
LMS (Well...when the school year starts, this will be true.)
Tennyson Middle School
Waco, Texas
dianes@hot.rr.com