It's a real problem, those discards.  And, a rather dangerous one, too.

If items are not suitable for a collection, we booklovers would really like
someone else to have them BUT it can also make it appear that the library
"doesn't need any more books" since they just throw them away anyway.

Donating them to teachers/students gets the items out of our hair
initially.  HOWEVER, it often encourages the establishment of a classroom
library (often in opposition to a main library), demands for additional
donations, and such.  And, as I found out, often those same items we
discarded so carefully end up being "donated" back.

Many a time I attempted to discard through the garbage.  And many a-time
some kindly janitor (or administrator) has retrieved them back for us.

Try waiting for some dark and gloomy night when no one is
about.  Stealthily load the boxes of discards into the trunk, back seat,
front seat, roof rack, of your vehicle.  Drive like a maniac to the nearest
garbage site, unload quickly before the School Board Chairperson (who
always shows up at just that time) arrives, and put on the gas out of there.

Of course, don't close any of those Discard Records for a couple of
months.  Sooner or later someone WILL show up with seagulled items.

'Yup, found 'em, at the local dump.  Can't figure how they got there.'

Earl Sande
Semi-retired International School Librarian
10189 133 Street
Surrey, BC
V3T3Y8