On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Maureen Irwin wrote:

> It helps a lot if, in addition to taking advantage of the cover of darkness,
> you can remove or obliterate anything (barcode, stamp, sticker) that
> identifies the books as belonging to your school or library.  My coll. dev.
> prof once told of a station wagon full of books that went 500+ miles to a
> dump in another state, only to be returned by a good samaritan!

LOL. Reminds me of a story a librarian in my old district along
the central Oregon coast told me....

The school had long collected trophies of course. Older ones were put
in the library to line the tops of bookshelves. After nearly a century
in operation, there were a lot of trophies. So he decided some of the
trophies would have to be weeded. His assistant was the mother of a
student from 20 years earlier so he gave her a coconut trophy her
son's basketball team had earned in Hawaii all those years ago.

It seems the son was not very sentimental and tossed the trophy
into the Salmon River. The Salmon River flows into the Pacific
Ocean....

About a year later, a coconut trophy washed up on shore somewhere
along the California coast. The news media made quite a
big fuss out of the discovery and the subsequent ceremony returning
the trophy to my friend and his library.

J. Rathbun, Librarian                  | "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mojave High School                     |  but I'm not the only one..."
Clark County School District           |
Las Vegas, Nevada                      |            John Lennon
Email: jrathbun@orednet.org            |