Thanks to all who posted on my "timeline of skills" question.  Your input is
truly incredible!!!

Well, the best source should be your school district's curriculum
guidelines.  I noticed you are in grad school so may not be in a school
system yet.  Call the curriculum supervisor in your local school system and
talk to her/him about this subject and ask to see a copy of their district's
curriculum proficiencies.  They will be most willing to help you.  In fact,
many school districts have a sort of reading room/library for parents &
other interested folks to check out the school district's material.

Catherine Trinkle
Hickory Elementary
Avon, Indiana
trinkle@mail.scottsburg.com

Our first graders use a simple thesaurus for better words for writing.
3rd graders are taught encyclopedia skills and more advanced dictionary.
They also use atlases. Our reading series has some of these skills as
parts of the curriculum. You might look at the different grades in a
reading series.

Lynette Fortson

You are looking for a scope and sequence, which can vary from state to state
a bit.  My state formerly had library skills identified within the state
scope and sequence.  Now the skills are hidden in technology curriculum in
Texas and Language Arts. Check out online curriculum for various states and
you will see there is a great similarity.

 I don't know if this book is still available or has been revised.  I bought
it years ago. School Librarian's Grade-by-Grade Activities Program: A
Complete Sequential Skills Plan for Grades K - 8 by Carol Kuhlthau.  It was
published by the Center for Applies Research in Education, Inc. in 1981.  It
still is good--just throw in updates for technology advances.

Sandy Scroggs
Librarian
San Antonio, TX
sscroggs@satx.rr.com
Holly,
I have published a skills continuum that outlines specific information
literacy skills, including reference materials at specific
levels--preliminary, beginner, and intermediate, advanced, as opposed to
grade
levels. As we all know, kids at different grade levels are not all at the
same ability level.

You can find this in my book, InfoQuest: A New Twist on Information Literacy
from Linworth Publishing www.linworth.com or through Amazon www.amazon.com.

Best wishes to you this year!
Peggy Milam
peggymilam@hotmail.com

I'm still working on how I feel my teaching  fits the needs but here's
roughly what I do:

K- alphabetical order into

1 - Fiction versus non-fiction: differentiating between, asking for...;
dictionary introduction; index (in many non-F books)

2 - More dictionary work, some encyclopedia and atlas introduction, using
the computer catalog introduced, certainly modeled, use index

3 - Computer catalog use expected (mastered?), encyclopedia use, Internet
searches modeled/introduced, Kids World Almanac (index), choosing reference
resources for fact finding

4 - Almanacs, keyword searches on catalog and Internet, Encyclopedias used
frequently for fact-finding, frequent use of index, using summary printed
on back of title page to "preview" fiction, differentiating between genres
of fiction to choose to suit likes, highlighting and note-taking,
biographies

Hope that helps.
Marcia Dressel
K-4 Libraries, Osceola School District
Osceola, WI 54020
ddressel@osceola.k12.wi.us
dressel@svtel.net
Holly Roge
Grad Student - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
HLROGE@PEOPLEPC.COM