I may have shared this one before and if so I apologize but Jane's story
reminded me of the year I came back from Christmas break to discover that my
clerk had gone in during the break and, naturally without asking first,
rearranged the picture book section horizontally across the entire picture
book section.  At least it was still alphabetical!!!  Needless to say I
called her and told her she had to put it all back the way it was.
As for shelving by color, I also tell the kids that there were libraries
that once did it that way and ask why they think it doesn't work very well
and give some of the same examples given earlier but I also tell them that
color can help sometimes and that I have been known to tell a kid (or
teacher for that matter - our lectionary for masses is "the big red book on
the top shelf") that couldn't find a title that "it's the big green book on
the second shelf" and if they couldn't find it before that is sometimes the
"clue" that helps them find what they were looking for.
Joanne Proctor, Librarian
Most Pure Heart of Mary School
Topeka, KS
joproctor@cox.net (evenings, weekends, holidays)