Just an idea...do you have anything available on biographies of famous =
newspaper owners or maybe reporters? Will he do anything about how to =
contact a newspaper if you might like to do a letter to the editor?  Or, =
in the more mundane, what about actually subscribing or changing delivery =
dates for vacations and the like?

****************
I know that I've included where the newspapers (current and archived) are =
housed, how long we keep the newspapers in the Library (before they are =
recycled), how to find publishing information (i.e. publisher, printed =
where, how often it's printed, etc.), how to find the bibliographic =
information and how to write the bibliographic reference for articles.  =
Our local newspaper also has a website and I've shown kids how to access =
the
online version via the Library computers.

****************
The only thing I can think of would be to do a "Read More About It..." =
type tie in where the students would have to do additional research or =
create a bibliography on chosen topics from newspaper articles.

****************
Actually sounds like a great idea. If you had a class set of newspapers =
you could do in library. I would begin with all the same newspaper for the =
first lesson and have students go through each section and answer the =
following:
*       How is the newspaper divided (how many sections)?
*       What are the "themes" of each section (local news, national news, =
sports, etc.)
*       Are there additional advertising sections (1 company ads)?
*       Go through each section and list what is included.
*       Locate editorial pages.
*       Locate and list columnists...are they local, national, paper =
exclusive or syndicated?
*       What "ideology" do you detect from the nature and content of =
editorials?
*       Are there comics?
*       Would you get a good pictue of national or state or local news =
from this paper?

****************
What about teaching the kids that they can look up information in old =
newspapers in the public library?  I work in an elementary school and I =
don't have online databases so I don't know if that sort of thing is =
available online.  Many authors and researchers find out all kinds of =
information from old newspapers like society news, obituaries, advertisemen=
ts of all sorts and just what the current events were of the day. To use a =
related example Richard Peck said he read all of the Time magazines for =
the year 1937 for his recent Newbery Winner A Long Way From Chicago for =
research to know what went on that year.  There is a book put out by the =
Los Angeles Times of the front pages for the last century.  You might find =
it in a local library.  I have it at home but I am in the midst of my big =
Scholastic book fair and can't imagine driving to Long Beach to lend it to =
you!  The history of newspapers is another good topic. I'd find all the =
local Long Beach papers that have existed and may or may not be still in =
print.  I once had to help my daughter find out information about =
something that happened in the 60s on Sunset Strip.  The LA downtown =
librarian remembered that there might be something in the Hollywood =
Citizen News (a paper I remembered from my childhood) and we looked it up =
on microfiche and there it was.  My brother in law, Michael Schudson, =
wrote a book called Discovering the News about the social history of the =
newspaper.  That is too adult for your crowd but just knowing about the =
topic through the title might launch some ideas in your mind.

Do you receive local or national newspapers in the library?  That would be =
a good time for the students to browse through the newspapers and identify =
all the different parts. Maybe have the students compare and contrast =
parts of the newspaper to the parts of your news magazines, such as Time, =
Newsweek, etc. If you have enough internet ready computers, have the =
students acces CNN on