I, too, had a similar experience and I'm still trying to get my
library put back together.  I was told that the carpet guy had come
and looked at the room (back in June) and had said only the two big
sets of shelves in the middle would have to be moved.  HAH!   They
had to move everything that wasn't there when the original carpet was
put down.  I would have packed up more stuff (and them had an easier
time putting it back) had they told me that.  As it was, all the
semi-processed books on my processing shelves were dumped onto carts
and in some cases, just piled in the hall.

Here's another warning.  The first week after the carpet was laid, I
was there telling the custodians where to put the shelves that had
been moved.  I got very groggy by the end of the day.  Turns out it
could have been a reaction to the new carpet outgassing or, much
worse, the glue they used to put it down.  Be very noisy and
insistent about 1) the company letting the carpet outgas before they
lay it, 2) after they lay it, they ventilate with big fans for as
long as possible (weeks or more) and 3) the company that lays the
carpet gives you the information about the chemicals in the carpet
and in the glue.  The first two may prevent you from having some
nasty reactions and the third is needed if you do have reactions to
figure out what you need to do.  I have some friends who are now on
disability because they got so sick from new carpet at work.
--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (preK-4)