I am a 30 year veteran of a middle school library and this is the first
year I have ever been placed in such a dilemma.

Our school has switched to a 4 period, 90 minute block schedule that
changes every other day ( A day/B day).  As a result, I have been
scheduled to teach Test Taking Strategies and Media Skills on both days.
All of my classes are held in the library. Herein lies my concern.  The
time the library is available to students and my staff is limited to the
last 15 minutes of each of 3 lunch periods and one 90 minute block every
other day.  In the past, access has been open and flexible.  I serviced
each content area at least once every 6 weeks with a library/information
related project.

I feel it is a crime that my students are so limited for library time.
Opening early in the morning is not an option as our students are not
permitted in the main building until 10 minutes before class starts.  I
remain at the library at least 45 minutes after teacher dismissal time,
but being a small town/rural school, most of our must ride school buses
in order to get home.

Do any of you have suggestions as to how I might deal with this
situation?  I have the ear of two of our Board of Education members, so
any statistics (especially test scores) would be impressive.

Thank you so much.
Mary Jane Getty
Librarian
Point Pleasant Middle School