I am the lms at a private school, grades pre-K through 12.  There is also
an elementary lms.  We would like to implement a school wide sustained
silent reading program.  This year we have planned one SSR time for each
of the remaining 3 quarters, with the first to kick off this Friday in
conjunction with Scholastic's READ for 2003 event.  The elementary and
middle school principals have agreed enthusiastically as has my
headmaster, but the high school principal is holding out.  He doesn't
think he can or should "force" high school students to read at a
particular time in a particular place.  He left the decision to
participate up to our STUCO president, who of course vetoed the idea.  I
have argued the benefits but I am not getting anywhere.  So grades pre-K-8
will read this for 33 minutes this week, but not the high school students.
 What I need are some statistics or journal articles that support SSR or
DEAR for SECONDARY students.  I know all of the reasons but have not been
able to successfully articulate them apparently.  I also tried arguing
that many high school students would probably never choose voluntarily to
read if given the choice, which is why they are precisely the group that
needs some time built into the schedule for pleasure reading.   I have an
opportunity to bring this up to staff and would like to have some
professional backing.  If you have any articles or know of any websites,
please send them my way!  Thanks!  Lisa

Lisa Nocita, LMS
lnocita@barstowschool.org
The Barstow School