Ok... Here is several more responses and a few good articles and websites
from my research.  Now I am going to work on the things that I have been
compiling!
Thanks everyone for your help!
Maureen

You should be aware of several articles on pathfinders:
Shrock, Kathleen. "The 'New' Virtual Library: The Virtual Pathfinder." The
Book Report. September/October 2002.

Yucht, Alice. "Project Pathfinder Portal Pages."Library Talk. March/April
2001. Download the article in pdf format at
http://www.linworth.com/librarytalk_article.html

Logan, Debra.  “Project Page Partnerships”. Book Report. Mar/Apr 2001 Vol.
19 Issue 5.

And a few great websites:
http://home.wsd.wednet.edu/pathfinders/path.htm J Barnes
http://mciu.org/%7Espjvweb/pathfinder.html  J Valenza

1.  My library's website is now at http://www.hmslibrary.info The projects
page is currently unavailable (thanks to computer gremlins) but should be
back up in a week or two.
2.  Here's a link to a handout/online pathfinder I use when doing workshops
on pathfinders:  http://www.aliceinfo.org/YSGD_pathfinders.html
*
We have an extensive list of pathfinders, most of which need updating, but
that gets done mostly on an as needed basis.
http://www.wshs.fcps.k12.va.us/library/Pathfinders.htm
*
Mainly paper at this point.  I have 9-12 grades so 14-18 years.
*
        I don't have my pathfinders on the web . . . yet.  That is to come.
They are on my computer, and I update them as web addresses change, etc.  I
use pathfinders mainly with the younger, less experienced 9th and 10th
graders who say "I don't know where to begin." Usually each pathfinder is
one page in length -- it is the "place to begin."

        My philosophy on the length of a pathfinder is that I want to "shine a
light on the research path" so students place their first research foot in
the right direction.  I don't want to walk the entire path for them.  They
must walk it on their own.  If I were to give students too much information
on the pathfinder, then I would have done all the preliminary research of
finding the sources for them.

         The "location of sources" is a major part of the research process, part of
the BIG SIX -- and one students need to practice doing if they are to become
lifelong learners.  After all, I won't be with them on each of their
information needs in the future.  They need to be able to locate information
sources on their own, and a pathfinder helps a student "find the path." It
shouldn't be the entire research road.
*
I have done health topics, mainly diseases, American Authors, elements,
inventors/inventions, genetic disorders.  Probably some others but they are
at school and my brain is ready for the Holiday.  I will forward my message
to school and then send you an example via attachment.  Will try to do it
tomorrow, but they are calling for 4 inches of snow, so don't know whether
we will go in or not because we also have an early dismissal.  If we have no
school, I'll catch it next Tuesday when we are back. I use paper for the
pathfinders because many of our students do not have home Internet Access
and I find it easier for them to not have to flip back and forth and besides
that they would just print it out in the library anyway. :)  They usually
are a side and a half long.
*
Some of my pathfinders have been:
World Leaders -10th grade
American Author Criticism - 11th
World Authors - 12th & 11AP
Social Issues Debate - 10th
Careers - 8th
Expository Essay - 9th
In general, the longer the research paper, the more detailed the pathfinder.
I always begin it with a space to write their topic, then space for Key
Words. This is the crucial part of any pathfinder. Students need to
brainstorm key words to use as search terms and this requires practice and
examples. The rest of the pathfinder outlines sources and I add check-off
spaces and call #s when possible. Teachers at our school require preliminary
bibliography cards....so the one page pathfinder with lots of doodling space
is what they carry around with them to write down sources.  They do not sign
out material or read and take notes at this beginning stage.  Thanks for
your interest!
*
I recently attended the Internet Librarian conference, which had a school
library track. It was wonderful! Once of the teams of presenters was from
the Greenhill School in Texas--the librarian and ed tech director presented
their "updated" pathfinders.  Please look at them.  They are web-pages
designed to support a classroom project, and were developed jointly between
the classroom teacher, the librarian and the tech man.  I was so excited and
impressed I went right home and convinced my most reluctant teacher how easy
it would be to put this together because she's been doing her project for
years.  All her documents are lready in digital format on her computer.  All
we have to do is have me add resources (links to library catalog and
databases, plus a bib) and then have our tech folk load the page onto my and
her web page.  Take a look at theirs:
http://www.greenhill.org/  choose library, and library projects.
*
I use Pathfinders when most classes come to the library.  I go over the
major points with them and then tell them they can take a Pathfinder if they
want one.  In some cases, I give on to every student, esp for a term paper
when I know they will be back.  I keep my Pathfinders in Princeton Files in
the library that kids can take at any time if they need them.
*

Maureen Mooney, LMS
mmooney@saintgregorysschool.org
Saint Gregory's School for Boys