We just received a special winter edition of "Sports Illustrated for KIDS."
On the cover the word KIDS is spray painted over with red lettering to read
"for Teens" in a manner resembling "tagging."

Inside the magazine on the verso with the subscription info, is a note from
"the Editors" also signed in red spray paint. The introduction reads
"What's going on here?"

Indeed, what IS going on here?

It says it's a special issue geared to teens and that the older readers and
longtime subscribers are the ONLY ones getting this "special edition."
(Obviously they had reservations about sending it to younger subscribers!)

Well, I suppose I qualify as an "older reader"  ;-)  but I'm WAY past being
a teenager(!), and I don't subscribe for myself, but for the K - 6 grade
students at my ELEMENTARY school. The mailing label has my name but also
"Elem" and school, so presumably their database understands who the
subscription is really for.

My school is located in Orange County which borders Los Angeles County.
Just this week there was a radio news bulletin about the recent escalation
of gang warfare (with many killings) in Los Angeles, and that this problem
is one of the new county sheriff's top priorities. "Tagging" leads to more
serious crimes (and can trigger gang violence) and it is a blight on our
neighborhoods.

There is an address (snail mail) and an edress (electronic mail) on the
page with the editors' note. I have sent them a STRONG email message about
the inappropriateness of this cover. I realize they may have sent it by
accident to our site, but if I were at a middle school or high school, I
would probably react the same way. I do not feel "tagging" should be
elevated (or should I say Sports Illustrated for KIDS-slash-Teens should be
degraded!) in this way. This issue will not be circulated at my site.

Check your issue when it arrives. IF you feel the same way, by all means,
let "the Editors" know!

Joanne Ladewig, Library Aide (A.K.A. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary, G.G.U.S.D.
Garden Grove, California
shatz1@earthlink.net
---comments are my own and may not reflect those of my employer- - -