Hi!
Thank you for all the wonderful ideas! LM Net is such an amazing resource.

Heidi Apol
Hill Elementary
Troy, MI
hapol2@troy.k12.mi.us

I've used book jackets to teach Dewey- where would you put this book? To
teach information skills- author, title, illustrator, publisher, info about
the book. For alphabetizing- put the covers in ABC order by author. Gives
the kids "hands on" without my having to reshelve hundreds of books :))))
**************
Laminate jackets, glue to particle board and create puzzles for youngest
ages. Easy puzzle making is a favorite teach a parent volunteer task, saw is
not expensive...and the experience of handling the cover art is a wonderful
extension of the literary experience. I circulate puzzles from the library.
Secondly, I have created large wall panel collages of selected titles. Young
users use it as a visual catalog...I have covered the wall of my reading
corner of the library with glorious result. Spray adhesive, particle board.
Finished collage is protected with Lexan. Thirdly, we have created mobile
panels (3'x6') of collages similar to above. Wood frames, corregated
cardboard, then glue covers to frame. Work as hall dividers, hung by eye
hooks on top or connected with hinges into accordion-folding displays.
*************
Yes, I cut them up like puzzles, and put them each into a zip lock bag.  The
students like to put them together. you could
suggest they look for that title on the shelf to read.
************
 Sometimes I use them as borders for bulletin boards.
************
I am making a hallway display of them. The 4th graders will take them, fill
out a "gift tag" including the author, title, illustrator, publisher, where
it was published, and the call # and the # of pages after they look it up in

the automated catalog. They then tape ribbon and a bow to it, attach the
tag,
and the display is called "Books make great gifts".
************
Probably not what you had in mind, but years ago I papered the
stairwell going down to my fireplace room with children's book
jackets.  Tore the edges so they would smooth down and not feel like
a definite edge.  Overlapped them collage style.   My children (then
pres-5th grade) loved the wall -- and it's still there and they are
grown.
**************
I made a set of 30 for my classes.  I cute each jacket apart in puzzle shape
pieces.  Then put it in a brown envelope.  I gave each student an envelope
and they worked the puzzle.  When they finished they could trade.  I think
the students enjoyed looking at the jackets and discovering which one they
had.
I also keep a basket of jackets.  I show the jacket and then ask them to
tell me whether it is fiction or non-fiction.  I found this helpful.
I have also added a head, arms, and legs to the jackets and used them to
decorate the library - especially those from our new books.  Perma Bound
always sends the jackets.
*******************
I give my class a book jacket and have them write a new story using the
pictures on front of the cover.  The fifth graders  can get real creative
and I enjoy reading their stories.
****************
I photocopied the staff photo and made a display out of the covers with
teachers' faces for the different characters - eg Winnie the Pooh cover and
I gave Pooh a teacher's face. I put them up in the entrance to the Library
and the kids love looking at them and find them funny.
*****************
You can also use the book jackets as story starters for writing
portfolios/projects.
Pass two or three to each kid and tell them to write a short story, news
story, essay, descriptive essay, whatever, about it.
Go get some plain rubberized placemats.  Then, you can cut out pictures from
the jackets to create collages.  Just glue them on and then laminate or just
cover them with that clear contact paper.
You can do genre ones--historical, biographical, horror, mystery, romance,
etc.  You can even add bits and pieces of other things.  For example, maybe
old photos you download and print from the American Memory Collection at the
Library of congress website, bits of cloth, ribbon, etc.
I did a Titanic themed one a few years ago for my classroom when I taught
and the movie was out.  I printed pictures from the movie website of
DiCaprio and Winslet, added a book jacket, a kid drew a picture of that
necklace, and placed a length of broken necklace chain around it, a lace
handkerchief, some ribbon, etc. I even had kids do them during the study
halls they made me monitor.
We use these a lot in various displays on the walls, bulletin boards, doors,
etc., to advertise our books.
Right now, we have many stuck on the wall on a big tree painted on our back
wall.  We attach them to the painted-on tree like leaves on
branches.....especially, the really colorful book covers.
Sometimes, our teachers like to borrow them also for their displays, door
decorations, and the like.