Deborah wrote:

>I am looking for elementary schools in southern Maine that have developed a
>school climate in which there is collaboration between the LMS and classroom
>teachers.  I would like to come visit and discover the magic that let it
>happen.

My research for Collaborating to Meet Standards: Teacher/Librarian
Partnerships for K-6 and Collaborating to Meet Standards: Teacher/Librarian
Partnerships for 7-12 tells me that the key elements are: 1) a cooperative
and supportive principal (especially one who is willing to ensure joint
planning time between LMS and teachers/teams and who may even be willing to
make collaboration with the LMS an established goal on teacher evaluations;
2) a collaborative school culture (in other words, the library can't be the
ONLY place that collaboration happens) in which working together is not
just a viable option but also a valued option; 3) a schedule that allows
for both joint planning and joint delivery of instruction (in an elementary
school, the ideal is a fully flexible schedule); and 4) the unwavering
determination of the LMS to make it happen--even if it takes years to fully
implement.  You might also want to ready my recent article in the September
SLJ about collaboration, which offers tips from people on this listserv.

Of course, I'm happy to have you come visit, but you've seen me in action
before :>

Best,
Toni

Toni Buzzeo, MA, MLIS <mailto:tonibuzzeo@tonibuzzeo.com>