Yesterday, I was appalled to learn through a memo that the state of New
Mexico is considering reducing the number of credits required for high
school graduation from 29 to 20.  As a result, all electives would be
eliminated from the high school curriculum. I have two children headed for
high school in a few years and am horrified at the idea that they won't be
able to continue in the band or explore other areas of interest such as art
and drama.  It also means I have to spend more out of my pocket to broaden
their horizons and give them a true education.  Is this a trend across the
United States or just some short-sighted thinking on the part of our state
education leaders?  Unfortunately, the memo gave now reasons as to why this
reduction is being considered and I'd like to know if it has any basis in
solid educational research.  Also, if anyone in NM has more info on this
that they can share, I'd love to receive it.  I'm also wondering if such a
move would also eliminate the open period students have for working in our
high school libraries.  Any thoughts on this?

Marian Royal
Parkview Elementary
Socorro, NM
marianroyal@hotmail.com