Here is the list of responses to the question:

I was wondering if any body had creative ways to teach new
vocabulary words to help increase comprehension at my school?

At our HS, the teacher require students to read books of their
choice and submit lists of vocabulary (with definitions) from the
books.

Illustrating words is a great way to help kids internalize the
meanings of words. After the students have had some practice
with a set or unit of words, they love to play pictionary. They can do
this in small groups or at the board with the whole group.
Good Luck!
Jeni Bufano

Someone told me about this very fun game: Write vocab words on
an overhead projector and show them on a wall or screen. Divide
students into 2 teams, each with a flyswatter ( i used pinwheels)
and then each team sends up a representative for a face-off. You
read the definition and then the first student to swat the word on
the wall gets a point for their team. Write the words in random
patterns, upside down, etc. so it's not too easy. They LOVED it and
really learned the words.
-Susan Fumo

I teach latin stems and vocab from Ceasar's English series by
Michael Thompson and Myriam Thompson. It is a great vocab
booster as Latin is at the base of so many English words. Before
the tests we often play password. I got the lesson plan from
http://www.teachers.net/lessons/posts//892.html
Dana Nilsson.

Have you read any of the Lemony Snicket books in the
"Series of Unfortunate Events"? He uses higher level
vocabulary words and explains them in context in a very
fresh way. Just a thought...
Geri

VOCABULARY BUILDERS:
http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/words/
Rosemary McCarthy

We have decided to implement (in January) "A Word A Day" which
the principal will read and define each morning during
announcements. Then in the students' Excel classes, they will
work on various activities, such as crossword puzzles, making
dictionaries, acting out or drawing the words, etc.
Milissa Robertson, LMS

I post a question each day in the library. After students have
checked-out their books, they can work on answering the question.
They put their answer in a box, and I draw one right answer each
day. The student wins a piece of bubble gum, a coupon for an
extra checkout, etc. My questions always involve a vocabulary word
that is underlined. In order to answer the question, the students
must know the meaning of that word, and SHOW that they do in the
way they write their answer.
Example: Would you be happy to get a 'reprimand' from your
teacher?
Do you 'transcribe' at school?
Diane

Thanks for the ideas! I can try these at once.
Sean Flanegan, Teacher-Librarian
Hampton,VA
sflanegan@sbo.hampton.k12.va.us