Good Morning everyone!!

Thank you everyone for all the WONDERFUL response!! :-) I have received =
many thoughts and ideas I just went ahead and shared everything. Thanks =
again! =20

1.      Laminate the Caldecott poster and am cutting out all those small =
covers of the books. The kids will each get a shelf marker with the =
picture of one book on it. They have to use the computers to look up the =
book, write the author's name and call number info. on a small worksheet, =
then go find the book. We'll create a Caldecott display from the books =
they find. Then they can browse, share the books they find. That's it. =
Simple enough.

2.      The I have game.        Take index cards and write something =
like...I have The Three Pigs. Underneath write a "definition." i.e. a book =
about a famous black American that has big words. Another person will have =
a card that says, "I have Martin's big words." Then that person will get =
to ask a question: a funny book about presidents and another person will =
look on their card that should say, "So you want to be President."  Have =
enough cards for each kid to have one. The last question asked should go =
back to the first person who asked their question-they should be able to =
answer with there "I have."

3.      I have saved old Caldecott posters (provided by Follett) and then =
cut them up and used them in a Caldecott Concentration game.

4.      I made cards by cutting out the pictures from the caldecott =
posters and putting them on to cards ~ 3x5", and laminating them AFTER I =
put the call number on the back. If you make two sets, you can use them to =
play memory if you don't put the call number on the back, but on the =
fronts. I give each kid a card and tell him or her they are to go to the =
shelf and match the call number, and then match the picture. Then I have =
them discuss at each table if they can figure out WHY I gave them these =
books to pull from the shelves. Grades 1 & 2 don't usually get it very =
quickly, but grade threes seems to be noticing the caldecott medal =
immediately. I do a variety of=20
comparisons. Have each child pick their favorite picture from the book =
then have those with the 1930 & 40 winners stand up and show their =
favorite, then the 50 & 60's, etc. then we talk about how the illustrations=
 have changed. How technology changed and now we can have photographs that =
can give us collage (like Smokey Night). I then have each table try to =
pick there favorite. My goal is to have them realize the difficulty that =
the committee has in selecting just ONE winner.   You could also line them =
up by their dates and then by their call numbers... I'm sure you'll come =
up with MANY ways to use these cards, as I have. (To clarify, for this =
lesson I described, I'm only using the caldecotts from the Easy section. =
I'll use the 398's later for a dewey lesson.)

5.      Make your own Bingo game using the following Questions.
What two good friends did Arnold Lobel write about? frog & toad
Who is the mean witch who was the substitute teacher for Miss Nelson? =
Viola Swamp
Name Burton's picture book about a man and his steam shovel (Mike =
Mulligan..)
Who walked on the high wire in Emily Arnold McCully's story? Mirette
Name the story about animals that make a nest in a piece of clothing (the =
mitten; is this a caldecott?)
Who had a magic pasta pot that overflowed with spaghetti? Strega Nona
Name the huge, strong man who was born with a hammer in his hand
In what story did a wolf huff and puff...three little pigs
What is the name of Maurice Sendak's story about Max and the wild rumpus? =
Where the wild things are
What is the name of Officer Buckle's dog? Gloria
Who lives with a group of girls, all in a line, in France? Madeline
What would King Bidgood NOT get out of? the tub
What animal was eaten by the old lady who swallowed a fly, and then she =
died? a horse

Hint:  I started out using beautiful borders in color, but found that =
printing that on transparencies was very slow and used a lot of cartridges.=
  It turned out to be better to use a thin line as a border, with a medium =
rather than thick font, with a small picture to add color.

6.      How about making Bingo cards with the titles of the award winners? =
  As you are calling out titles, you can show the corresponding book if =
you have the book.

7.         I have tried to figure something out along these lines with =
Caldecott or Newberry.  I cut up an old Follett poster that had full color =
pix of the book covers, added the Call No.  and pasted them to 3.5 x 5 =
cards then laminated them. I use them on displays and as search the =
shelves activities. I wanted to do a set of cards... like 'authors' or =
'books' where you get four cards by same author to make a set.  But it =
wouldn't work unless you use three non-winning books by the author (and I =
don't have the nice book cover pix for any others either.)

8.       I have found actual games to purchase.  High smith has Caldecott =
and Newbery Award Games it is on page 320 Item# L31-91475 Caldecott game =
$28.00 #L31-91476 Newbery game $28.00.

9.     There are actual games to purchase.  High smith has Caldecott and =
Newbery Award Games it is on page 320 Item# L31-91475 Caldecott game =
$28.00 #L31-91476 Newbery game $28.00.

8.      Someone also said there are 2 games in a book called Reading Fun =
by Mona Kerby.  I have not found any other information about ordering this =
book.

9.      You can even make a Wheel of Fortune game using Caldecott titles, =
and authors.

I hope this will help and thank you EVERYONE for all the wonderful =
ideas!!!!

Deb Leininger
Library Aide
Pine Bluffs Elem.