I would like to add my two cents in support of Karen and David's perspective.  As a
school librarian, I find it quite discomforting to act as a parent and question the
students right to a material, regardless of the parents wishes.  I support that
parent's right to be involved in what their child is exposed to, particularly when
so many aren't.  But (and a big BUT), I am not that child's parent.

I purchase materials under a collection development policy.  If a parent objects to
the material in the library then it should be evaluated under an approved material
challenge policy.  If the parent would like me to monitor the child's reading
material - then I suggest that they come during their visits to the library and
help their child select appropriate materials.  As a parent, they have the right to
send their child to a private school that supports their philosophy or to home
school.  A public school is just that - public.

I think the best example to set for any student is free access to materials and the
right to choose what materials are appropriate for them.
Two cents
Chris Beardsley
Librarian
Darrow School