I've been reading all of these posts with interest and agree and disagree with
something in almost every one. Your message, Elizabeth, moved me to add my
probably inflated two cents. I'm the mother of five children, all adults, married
with their own children. I, too, wanted them to be independent and make
independent choices (and they are way too independent for me now!) Because I was
allowed to read whatever I wanted, no questions asked, I thought my children
should as well.  My older daughter and I were discussing children and the books
which they read three or four years ago (she's 38) and she said, "Mother, you let
me read books that I was not ready for and they scared me and affected me
seriously. I wish you had monitored my reading."  Parents have a responsibility to
their children; we, as employees of a school district,  financed and governed by
people who pay our salaries, have a responsibility to try to reflect and uphold
community values while balancing them with our own professional philosophies and
obligations.  I have said, with a smile, to parents, "I will try to see that your
child does not check out a specific book, but I cannot promise; that's ultimately
yours and the child's responsibility." I do try.  And I also tell my students,
"You know what your parents want you to read and not read.  Please respect that
and don't embarrass any of us." I think a little common sense and understanding is
always in order while we do our best to protect the rights of our patrons. Whoever
said it was going to be an easy job?!  Best wishes for a restful weekend to all.

Marilyn

--
Marilyn Johnson
District Library/Media Services Coordinator