Again I am seeking advice from a number of lists, particularly those of you
in the primary sector ...

Our goal at PDPS is for staff and students to be able to access any work
that is housed on our school network from home using dial-up access, work on
these at home and then save them ready for the next day at school..  I
believe that there are also plans for parents to be able to look at their
child's personal portfolios.

Now, not being the brightest star in cyberspace, I cannot get my head around
how this will work but obviously, some of you already have this sort of
facility in place.  At this stage, all I need to know is - is this access
done through the school website?  Does it affect the school website in any
way?  Do I need to include anything about it in our school website policy?

And secondly, as I try to involve teachers in creating their own class pages
for the website I need to write some technical guidelines.  Now I know that
the pages are save with an .htm extension and clipart is saved as a .gif and
photos as .jpeg because all browsers can 'read' these no matter what
application they were created with,  but what are the common file extensions
for an audio file, a video file and a slide presentation.  (I just KNOW they
are going to do these things.)  And are there any other sorts of files that
I need to name?

Also I know that stuff I create in Inspiration needs to be saved as a .gif
to be read on the web,  but could someone with experience in Keebooks tell
me if these are readable when saved as 'web books' without needing to
download a reader, as you do with Acrobat .pdf files. Or do you put it
onsite and then link to the reader - and is the reader free?

I didn't know I had so many questions!!!!!

But thank you yet again - I promise I will put all this on the PDPS site
when it is finished so others can share your knowledge too.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School