Here's my five cents (2 cents inflated).  I am a LIS graduate student in
addition to my day job at a private school.  My instructors have covered this
subject more times than I can count.  Have an acquisition policy that is
clear and supported by the administration.  Show it to the parent.  Be
willing to listen, then explain the policy.  If they want to pursue the
matter, the proper channels are (or should be) in the policy.   If the parent
wishes to censor what their child is reading, they should expect to be at
their side wherever they borrow the material.  Most librarians and their
assistants rarely have the time to constantly monitor what a child is taking
home.  A funny example -- a 9th grade student checked out a copy of Roth's
"Portnoy's Complaint."  When the book became overdue, we found that the
parent had thrown the book away.  She said she would buy a new copy when we
contacted her -- of course, she didn't.  To me, that's censorship.  If she
didn't want her child to read the book, she could have returned it so that
another child without the restriction from their parents could read it.
Enough said.

Mary Peterson, Library Assistant
Cranbrook Kingswood Upper School
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan