Hey folks,

Here my original question and the replies I received below.

Alan P-W

I am living in Guatemala studying Spanish this year.   I'm planning
to return to my district in the Fall as an elementary librarian.  I
have my district's Library and Information Literacy Skills Continuum
for K-6 and the District Library Plan for 2002 to 2005.  Most of our
elementary schools have Library Prep on a fixed schedule every week.
Each prep time is 50 minutes. I need some help planning lessons for
skills.  I have been learning so much from reading the postings for
the last few months.   Thank you for teaching me so much already!

What I am looking for are lesson plans or guides.  I have the
Highsmith Catalog 2001-2002.  I was wondering if anyone has used the
T.S Denison Library Skills Series for K-6 listed on page 321.  Is it
worthwhile?  Is there a better series or guide?

I'm not 100% sure this is the same exact thing, but the books I have are TS
Dennison, and they are good.  They are not too expensive.  I don't
necessarily use them as masters all the time, but as a first year it helps
me organize my plans and know what subjects I should be teaching what
grades.  Overall they have been useful, and depending on how advanced your
kids are or how neurotic you are, they can be good for ideas or used as
masters for handouts.

I have the  set you described.
They are useful to me as a planning tool and to give me ideas for some
kinds of pencil and paper worksheets (though I tend away from them), but I
find that I often (always?) need to modify the wording to fit our library
(e.g. card catalog needs to be replaced with computer catalog.  Or I have
different name for picture books etc.
They are awfully handy to have when a substitute will need a simple
activity or review of a skill already taught. I probably use about 10
percent of the sheets provided in each of the K-2, 3 and 4 books and those
I'm happy with with just slight modification.

I find that I don't use one book more than another, because one book
doesn't meet my needs.  I have puchased a shelf load over the years and
pull and adapt for different ones depending on the group and skill.  I
try to do hands on activities instead of a lot of worksheets.  I also
try to tie any skill into their academic studies.  Both techniques
result in the student enjoying the class better and remembering what you
are teaching them longer.
I have Denison and have used it heavily in the past.  It is one of the
best for a starting base.  I haven't seen it recently, one whole book
(5th gr) is (was) on the card catalog.  We no longer have a card catalog
and those skills are rarely used today.  You might want to be sure that
particular book will meet your needs.

I use the Denison series and I love it!

Hi,
     I have used the Denison series and found it very applicable to my
lessons.  It is great!

  I have used the skill books on pg 321.  I used the 5th and 6th ones
because I was in a 5th-6th grade building.  They are good, but not
complete.  In fact I have found nothing yet that does everything we
want.  I have just made my entire curriculum by choosing from several
books.  Now I am at the High School and starting all over.  What a
job!  Great fun!
--
Alan Pickering-Walters
Teacher on Leave of Absence studying Spanish