Personally, I would send a catalog home for her to look at, and see how
expensive library bound books actually are.  Explain why you need the
quality you need in your book, and hopefully she will understand.  I
know, we shouldn't have to go through hoops to recover fines, but in this
case, it might be worth your time.  Good Luck!!

I also send a notice home for lost books.  I charge a $1.00 processing
fee for every book to cover the spine labels, the new barcode I'l need to
put on it, and any other labeling that needs to be done.  Sometimes I get
the $1.00, sometimes not.  It's frustrating, as I feel that's not too
much to ask.

We have had cases in our district where the child is not financially able
to pay for a book,  and they have "worked" it off for the librarian.  Be
sensitive to this.  Don't have a child stay to work if it will cause
problems at home, it's just not worth it.

I have had parents laugh in my face when I try to fine them for a lost
book.  BUT, miraculously, when I take away their checkout priveleges, the
books reappear!  I had one parent refuse to take responsibility for 4
lost books.  When the school year ended, her son wasn't allowed to get
his report card.  She said she didn't care.  The next year, when the
computer showed he still had 4 books out, he wasn't allowed to check out.
 Guess what, they actually found the books!  Amazing, isn't it.

Raynette Schulte
Lincoln Librarian
Watertown, SD
rschulte@wtn.k12.sd.us