Thank you all for your advice! I got over 50 responses in two days! WOW! You
are GREAT!! Here is the summery of the tips offered :

LIBRARY PACKING TIPS from Sharon Gonzalez

Try to get the 18" boxes rather than the 22" boxes

With some exceptions for oddly shaped or unusually large or small books, you
can figure about 1 box per full shelf of books.

Packing books:

1.  WEED as much as you can!  If there is time, do an inventory before
packing.  You might want to have all of the books checked in first, or you
might prefer to have as many checked out as possible (less to pack!).  Make
sure you have your overdue/missing/lost lists with you while packing, just
in case you come across some of those books.

2.  Before you begin packing, label each bookcase with a number, and label
each shelf within that bookcase with a letter.  Use old call labels or
pieces of masking tape, and label each shelf.  That way you will help
prevent errors when others are helping you pack.

3.  Make a written list of each shelf of your library, noting the
number/letter of the shelf, the beginning and ending call number of books on
each shelf, and whether the shelf is full, half-full, etc.  This will be a
big help when deciding the layout of your new library.  This step may seem
tedious, but it works.  It is also valuable to do if you are not packing
into boxes, but just moving books over on book carts.  This list becomes an
index for your library.

4.  Instruct all packers to write, in the upper left-hand corner of each
side of each box the number/letter of the shelf that will be packed in that
box. If there are already numbers in that spot, black them out first. It is
best to write on the box immediately before beginning to pack it.

5.  Helpers can "make up the boxes" well ahead of time.  Do not interlace
flaps--leave them flat.  Place one strip of tape across the seam,
overlapping the ends of the box by a good 4 inches.  Then place another
strip of tape on the right and parallel to the first strip, overlapping the
first strip, and another strip on the left and parallel to the first strip,
overlapping the first strip.  In this way you are using 3 strips of tape for
the bottom of the box.  It is best to seal the top of the box in the same
way, since you do not know which way the box will be stacked.  This is
especially important for long-term storage and variations in temperature and
humidity.  Do not use any boxes that appear to be weak or damaged.  Save
them for lighter things or do not use them at all!

6.  Pack the boxes right next to the shelves so that you do not have to
carry them anywhere.  First label and pack the bottom shelf, with the box on
the floor to the left of the bookcase (so that you can reach the books
easily).  Seal that box, and then place the next box on top and pack the
next shelf in it.  Stack boxes no more than 3 or 4 high, depending on how
tall you are.  Always begin with the bottom shelf and work your way to the
top shelf of each bookcase. You will probably end up with two stacks of
boxes for each bookcase.  You might have a couple of books that do not fit
in the box.  Just pack them in the next box---you will notice it when you
unpack and shelve.  If you have several books that need to go into the next
box, be sure the label the next box accordingly.

7.  Nestle the bookend in amongst the books.  That way you have a bookend to
use for the shelf when you unpack it, and you do not end up with some very
heavy boxes filled with metal bookends.  If you have permanent signage that
you intend to reuse, pack that in the box, also.

8.  Use common sense and follow some safety procedures when packing.
Eliminate back strain by sitting on a stool for packing the bottom boxes.
Wear wrist braces if you have them.  Use a back brace if you need it.  (Ask
your custodians---they either have them or can get them).  Gloves help save
your hands and nails from wear and tear.  Cotton gardening gloves with
"traction beads" are wonderful to use while packing (and your hands will
stay cleaner, too).  Divide up the work amongst several people, if possible,
and take plenty of breaks. Plan your packing space and stacking space
carefully so that you do not have to move any of the boxes you have packed!

Packing other items:

1.  AV:  I packed the AV collection in the same way, because mine were
shelved in Dewey order.  I labeled all of the shelves, just as I did for
books.  You might want to make adaptations, according to how your AV is
shelved.

2.  Periodical storage:  If you have cardboard periodical boxes, make sure
they are stuffed full so that they will not collapse.  Plastic boxes can
usually be packed as is.  Use the newsprint whenever you can to fill the
gaps.

3.  Lightweight items (stuffed animals, etc.) may be packed into larger
boxes.  Make sure that they end up stacked for storage on top of the heavier
boxes.

4.  Continue the numbering system for all boxes, and continuing making an
index of what is in each numbered box.  Do not count on your memory!  By
numbering the boxes rather than labeling them with what is inside you have
less to write, will be less confused by whatever else is written on the
boxes by people who used them before you, etc.  If you later have to find
something, you merely have to look at your index and find the right box
number.

5.  Keep a box (or more) for those extraneous books and items that are
returned during packing and cannot be shelved in the proper place.  Number
it, and write the info on your index.

6.  Pack a box (or more) of your essential items that you need at your
circulation desk.  Of course, number it and write it in your index, but you
might want to keep that box very handy.  It might be the first thing you
need when you unpack.  For example, I had such a box with shelfmarkers,
barcode cards of the patrons, essential library processing materials, etc.

7.  You might want to have a plastic storage box with a snap on lid to
become your portable desk.  In it you place pens, pencils, markers, scratch
paper, stapler, scissors, tape, etc.---everything you need to use every day.

8.  Keep another small storage box with your back-up disks and essential
library software.  This is something else you want handy!

9.  Pack everything else any way you want.  It is important to get your
supplies and sundry material organized, and number your boxes, and keep a
list of what each number means.

Suggestions for possible long-term storage:

1.  After labeling all of the shelves and writing up your index (so you will
know how much space you will need for the items in the new library) you
might want to talk to teachers about units of study for the future.

2.  You can make boxes of materials for those units, give each box a patron
barcode, and check out the materials to that barcode.  You can then make a
list of which person is responsible for each box.

3.  If yours is an AR school, you can make grade level collections of AR
books in the same way.

4.  If you run a Bluebonnet program or any other special program, you will
probably want to separate those materials before general packing, also.

5.  Find out, before packing, whether you will be responsible for a
continuing library program and separate your materials before packing.

MAKE COPIES OF YOUR "INDEX".  HAVE ONE AT HOME, ONE YOU CAN CARRY WITH YOU
IN YOUR PORTABLE DESK, LEAVE ONE IN THE FILING CABINET, AND GIVE ONE TO YOUR
SCHOOL SECRETARY.  YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMEONE MIGHT NEED IT, OR HOW MANY
COPIES WILL GET LOST!

If your boxes will be stored in various places, make a note of which box
numbers are in each place.

Moving into the new library:

1.  Use the list that you made at the beginning to label all of the shelves
with the box numbers that will go on those shelves.  If some of the shelves
were very full, leave extra shelves for overflow and growth when labeling.
If you have many more shelves in the new library than the old one, plan out
which shelves you will leave empty.

2.  It should be easy for anyone to look at a box number and place that box
near the shelf of the corresponding number.  The books in that box can be
unpacked and placed in order on that shelf, and you already have a bookend!

3.  If you are moving books over on carts, take the label off the old shelf,
place it on the corresponding shelf on the cart, and the cart can then be
taken to the corresponding shelf in the new library.  In this way, it does
not matter in what order books are moved.

Congratulate yourself!  You moved the library with ease!

One thing that helped me A LOT was to have the boxes clearly marked with
what was in them.  Not just FIC  but FIC, Anderson, P   -     FIC,
Anderson, W.   It saved lots of time on the reshelving part after we were
all rearranged. Also, be sure your volunteer helpersknow exactly what you
want for boxing books--not just dumping them into boxes. Have a timeline,
show it to the principal and ask for HELP.

My advice is to make sure you put books in the books in shelf order. I've
had friends who
moved libraries and the thing that helped them the most was to make sure
that each box held one shelf's worth of books only -- even if the box wasn't
full. This makes reshelving a snap because you can line the boxes up with
the shelves and simply take them out and put them up. Be sure to give
yourself time and take care of yourself.

First, be very careful what size boxes you get.  We chose 21x14x14.  The
boxes of books get very heavy and will break easily.  This size wasn't too
heavy and were easy for one person to handle.  We measured how many books
would fit in that size of a box and ordered accordingly.  Label each box on
the sides and top with the call numbers.  Keep a separate list of what is in
each box.  That way when unpacking you can easily see which box comes next.
Do the same with all other library materials.

Advice:
-Label, label, label every box with contents
-Number every box
-Place books in boxes in order - example - FIC ABA through FIC BAR
-You don't want the boxes too large - for your sake and the movers
-Encourage teachers to check out lots of books for the summer - they can
keep them in their rooms if they aren't moving - or take them home, if they
are moving.
-Try to supervise moving the boxes to the gym to make sure they stay in some
sort of order - if this boxes are numbered this will help
-Use a bright color label for the number

Be sure to label the boxes well, and I found it helpful to not only put the
Dewey range on it, but also number them--1-whatever.  1st box on the
shelves, etc.  That way, it was easier to put them in order or find the
correct box to put on the shelves.

Plenty of boxes and computer generated labels that tell where the box goes.
Sometimes it helps to put three identical labels per box. The first time I
did it I used different colors of spray paint on the boxes to discern
between fiction, non fiction, biography, and reference. It was useful
because they were all mixed up when they went to the new room. Different
colors of labels might be just as well because spray paint might be
dangerous to have around juveniles in certain cases.

Be sure to have safety belts for your volunteers to wear to avoid back
injuries.  Get twice as many boxes as you think you will need because you
will need all of them.  Get smaller boxes than you think you will need
because they will be twice as heavy as you think they will be.

When we moved our library of about the same size, we labelled every shelf
and then labelled the box with the same number. At the 'new' library we had
labels on the empty sheleves corresponding to the labels on each box so that
when they arrived, even if they got out of sequence, we knew exactly where
to put the books inside. This is especially good if you are using volunteer
labor!

Here is what I did:
1. Weeded the collection down to the bone.
2. Contacted a box manufacturer in the area, and got them to donate all the
boxes we needed.  ( They were actually glad to have them taken off their
hands, and the administrators were thrilled with the cost.)
3.  I printed out numbered tags for each shelf, and duplicated the tags,so
that each box had a corresponding tag.  I kept a record of the range of call
numbers in each box.
4. I recruited  volunteers to help pack the boxes.  I think we had about 10
people.
5.  I made a list of the shelves that each person would be responsible for
packing, for example, person #1 was responsible for shelves 1-20, person#2
shelves 21-40, etc.  As each box was packed, the volunteer sealed the box,
and taped the tag to the box.  It took us less than one school day to pack
the entire library.
6. When the shelves were empty, I collected all of the tags, and saved them
along with the record of the boxed books.  I kept this record at home in a
safe place over the summer.
7.  When the shelves were finally installed,  I determined where the books
would go, and I placed the numbered tags on the shelves. I had the
custodians put the corresponding numbered boxes of books near the right
shelves.  The same volunteers came back, unpacked the boxes ( again, in less
than a day) and we all ate pizza.  It was actually a fun process, and the
staff and students were thrilled to finally get into our beautiful new media
center.

Label every box carefully.  Also, try to be in on the actual moving so you
can supervise and lay them out according to how they are shelved; otherwise,
the movers will just dump the boxes anywhere and trying to find what goes
next on a shelf will be time consuming.  We used chicken box crates as they
have handles and were easier to carry.  I would also suggest taping the lids
shut in case any get dropped.

My suggestion (and it was THE most helpful thing) is to put the books in
their boxes in shelf order and then mark the outside of the box with the
Dewey range that is inside. I did not worry about packing the boxes in the
most efficient manner but rather concentrated on putting them in, spine up,
in shelf order. When it was time to unpack, I simply had the boxes moved to
the corresponding shelf, opened the box, and put the books back up without
having to rearrange or re-order.

Number each box and keep a notebook of the numbered boxes and their
contents. Egg cartons make great packing material. Empty Xerox paper boxes
w/lids are a wonderful size for packing books.
Pack your essential supplies, documents and personal items yourself and take
them home and bring them back yourself to be unpacked. Take home your
barcode wand, manuals, etc. It is work but you will have everything you need
right away at your fingertips and YOUR STUFF won't get misplaced or damaged!
Keep a heating pad and Advil handy.  Take a hot shower each evening to relax
your muscles.Ask for help.

Hire a company that specializes in moving libraries, law offices etc. They
have a system for measuring the collection and tagging both the old shelves
and the new ones. This costs money but is by far the best way to accomplish
the job. Supervising and marking boxes is enough to keep you very busy.

Here are a few tips we learned.
1. When you pack the books in boxes start at the end or last of the
collection. In other words pack 999.999 first so the higher numbers are
always at the bottom of the box. That way when you unpack the books, 001.00
will come out  first and you can judge the spacing on the shelves easier! If
you can keep the books somewhat in order when they go in the boxes, they
come out alot faster and easier.
2. Label boxes clearly on tops and sides with the Dewey range of the books
in the box.
3. Label your shelves with approximate locations of fiction and Dewey
numbers before the boxes are moved into the new space. Then try to get the
movers to put the boxes under the correct shelves when they bring them into
the new space. It won't be perfect but it will save some lifting and
sorting.
4. If you have a core of good volunteers already, recruit some to help you
even thought school might not be in. If you don't use volunteers for
anything else, try to get some for this - even dependable students will be
good if your administration will let you.
5. Leave plenty of space on the shelves for new book over the next several
years - then its easier to rearrange if you have to.
6. Be sure the gym doesn't have any leaks before you move the books in
there!

When you pack your books in boxes, in addition to marking them something
like 336.8 to 419 or whatever, also mark them numerically; for instance
Non-Fiction # 2, Non-Fiction # 3 and so on.  It is MUCH easier to get them
in order to reshelve this way.  I learned the hard way!
Also, when I unpacked, several of my wonderful faculty came in a few days
early to help me.  We got it done in just a couple of days. If you can't get
faculty, try PTA volunteers.

Here is what I would have told them as I set up my media center in the new
building
1.  Weed the collection before you move
2.  organize the books by library sections as you box the books (ie
100's,Reference materials etc.)
3.  Clearly label the boxes on all sides LMC and what the content is
4.  Try to move all of the boxes at one time to eliminate missing boxes of
materials
5.  Ask for help in packing and unpacking
6.  try to put the computers in computer boxes for the move to help protect
them

I've done it twice--once with the books stored for a year before we got in
the new facility.  I'd say the main key is to locate boxes of the same size
so they can be labeled and stacked in order as you take things off the
shelves.  Our district was not willing to buy boxes so I used some from the
local grocery and had the janitor pick up and store weeks before I actually
started packing.  The first time we used milk boxes that didn't have lids
but had great handles and no wording on the sides so easy to label.  The
next time, those boxes were not available so we used produce boxes
(bananans, lettuce) with lids and I used wallpaper to write the labels on
that we attached to the boxes.

Be sure to securely tape the boxes.  Movers are not as careful as you would
be in transporting boxes by hand trucks. Be sure to label the outside of the
boxes on at least 2 sides with the
contents of the box, i.e.. "520-521 A" or "F A-FAsh".  (Three sides is
better for the box always seems to be turned the wrong way!) It takes more
time in packing but pays off in unpacking because you can more easily place
the boxes at the approximate location where they will be shelved.

What ever you do don't let anyone else put the books back on the shelves
without you being present. My mother had to move her library (back in the
early 70's) and the custodians thought they would help her and they put all
the books back on the shelves for her. It took forever to get the books back
in order since the custodians didn't understand the Dewey system. She had
fiction and non-fiction mixed together. All the non-fiction was put on the
shelves in no order at all. They didn't leave room on the shelves for
additional books -- they were packed tight. Plan on it taking longer to put
everything away than what you planned.

1. Start organizing volunteers.
2. Organize as you pack.
3. Keep your sense of humor.

1. Label the boxes in large print. I made colored sheets that said PHS
Library and had a place to write the contents. You may also wish to label
one side.

2. Make SURE you keep the books in order in the boxes, even if this means
some boxes are not completely full.

3. Books are heavy! Use small to medium boxes, and use packing tape to seal
the bottoms.

4. Any book turned in or located after you pack its shelf should be put in a
box labeled "strays." If there are a lot of them, you might label one "stray
fiction" and one "stray nonfiction." That way, you only have two possible
places to look for the book someone must have "this minute."

5. When you move into the library, get the boxes in their approximate
unpacking locations first. You should have a pretty good idea of what will
go where.

6. Leave empty shelves for the stray boxes that are bound to turn up. If you
have room, leave all the bottom shelves empty, unless you're an elementary
school.

7. If you have a movable table, use that to unpack.

8. Packing is VERY SLOW. It took me a couple of weeks, with not much help.

9. Tell your husband or boyfriend you are going to need some serious massage
time.

I did that one year...and the biggest problem was that the new library
wasn't ready on time.  Kids just had to wait...also, when packing up the
books, they need to be stored in air conditioning as they can get musty
moldy over the summer in a humid place.  It's a lot of work, but I don't
have any other suggestions to make it easier...oh yes, put the call no. on
the outside of the boxes.

I took old catalog/book card and made two set of numbers. I put one of the
numbers on the shelf in the new MC and then I used the other set to divide
up the collection in the current room.  That way when we moved you put the
books from shelf 1 in the old room on shelf 1 in the new room.  Be sure to
pack books in order and make them easy to lift.  I know of a local library
that just
used the boxes the paper comes in for the copier. They are easy to get,and
should hold about 1 shelf.

We packed books in the boxes from left to right - standing them as they
normally would on the shelves (this way they weren't "hanging" from the
spine). Each box was labeled with beginning & ending contents. For example,
E ADA - E  ALL.  That way we knew what books (reasonably) we in the box.
Depending on how many are packing your library or how fast & efficient they
are...you might want to color-code sections (yellow for easy), blue for
fiction, etc. Write the book information on the box in this color & you can
have a "scheme" of the new library to show which boxes should be placed
where for easier unloading.  You may also want to number your boxes as you
label the contents.  Then write the box number & contents on a sheet of
paper.  You can cross off the boxes as they are unpacked.  You can see which
books should be in what box & what is missing this
way.  Unfortunately, I had too many people helping and wasn't able to number
everything. When boxes are stored, store no more than 3 boxes high. If you
have oversized books, you might use your book carts to store them or put
them in diagonally.  If they stand too tall & get pushed on they will bend.
Out of all my boxes, only 1 book was damaged.

Our district purchased the flat storage boxes you construct yourself, with
detached lids. They were sturdy and we could fill them without breaking our
backs. Although we NEVER want to deal with boxing again, we would highly
recommend these type of boxes.

The moving out was fairly efficient and well-organized.  The district hired
10 "day-workers" who came in and worked from 8:00 - 4:00 with two 15 minutes
breaks and a 30 minute lunch.  They key to the successful move was labeling
each box--FIC-Aar-Aqa or REF-099-099.9, etc. Then all the books in that box,
although not necessarily in order in the box went to that area when they
were returned.  We also color coded themb--Blue for fiction, green for
reference, red for special collections, and black for nonfiction.  We packed
the keyboards and cords and wires and mice in boxes and covered the
computers with dust covers.  Everything was totally cleared out of this
library in a matter of 4 days.  Moving the books back in didn't go as
smoothly.  The district hired the workers again, and in order to not have
people standing around with nothing to do,
people started in different areas of the library pulling out books and
putting them on the shelves.  Not a good idea.  We ended up having to shift
and reshelve several times to get things to fit.  It took us about two weeks
to get everything back on the shelves.  (The day workers were
only here for about 4 days again).    My two aids and I did the rest of it
ourselves.

To make reshelving easier, I would put temporary labels on shelves so almost
anyone, even my
own children, could unpack books and place them on the correct shelves for
arranging later. Labeling each box with section and Dewey number or author
letters is a must. If your moving crew--custodians or whoever--are
exceptionally helpful people, you might even get them to place boxes in the
areas where they will be unpacked. Signs in those sections to match section
labels on boxes would be a help.

1.  To stay organized I color coded and labeled boxes by section (i.e.
fiction, non-fiction, biographies, reference, professional, etc.).  I split
non-fiction into two sections (NF-1 and NF-2) so that more than one person
could box the section at a time.  For example, I made fiction red, so the
first box was labeled in red marker with the designation "Fic-1", the next
was labeled "fic-2" with boxes then consecutively numbered.  Professional
would be blue and the first box would be labeled "prof -1", etc.  This helps
a lot when the boxes get mixed up (and they will); it is easier to spot
which boxes will go where in the new library ("put the boxes with the red
lettering  over there").

2.  Label each side of the box so you can see its designation no matter how
it's piled or turned.

3.  Keep a running tally for each section of the boxes and what's in them.
I just used plain lined paper with a list that read something like fic - 1 =
aaa-adl, 2 = aft-amd, or nf -1 = 001aaa-023bbb, etc.  In this way you will
know what's missing if a box gets lost.  Also, if your library isn't done in
time and you need to pull something out of a box, you'll know exactly where
it is.  I amazed people by pulling out my list and saying "that's in box
#37, let me get it for you."

4.  Don't make the boxes too heavy.  You and your custodians will be
grateful.  I actually had one of the custodians thank me for it.  I was
given standard boxes about 18" long and about 12" wide.  I put one layer of
books, one row wide on the bottom of the box, standing them with the spine
facing up (the exception was paperbacks since they're lighter).  The other
advantage to
this was that I could figure out how many boxes of books would fit into a
certain shelving area so that more than one person could reshelve (i.e. I
could figure out that fiction A-L would use up so many shelves and then have
someone else start fiction M in the next shelves after this).  Also, if you
get into the same situation that I was in, you'll be moving around the boxes
yourself and will be glad if they're not too heavy.

5. Tape them fairly well and instruct your workers to put tape not just in
the middle where the two halves come together, but also on either side of
the middle.  Because of the weight of the books and being moved around it is
easy for them to split open.  Also tape the top of the boxes securely
because they'll be stacked, and since they will not be filled to the top it
is easy
for them to collapse in.  Be prepared to use a lot of packing tape.

6.  Insist that they store your computers somewhere safe and secure and
clean.  You wouldn't believe what we lost during our school's renovation.  I
even had cpu's opened and the memory cards removed.

They have a great system for labeling boxes - each section was labeled with
marker on the box -
 each a different color marker.  The outside of the box says something like
this:  F BUC-CAR  9  The 9 has a circle around it.  This means it is the 9th
box of fiction books and BUC-CAR is the range of the call letters in that
box.  Then when they unpack, they set the boxes around the shelves in order
and divide how many shelves by how many boxes so they can get an idea of how
to space them out evenly and not run out of room or have lots left over. We
also have nearly 50 computers that I am responsible for (lab, library,
classroom).  These were packed and moved by our technology department.  The
main thing I'd emphasize with them is to make sure they're not stored
somewhere where water could leak on them.

1.  get boxes the same size (moving companies)
2.  standardize the way you mark books      a.  Fic 1,  dew 27,  easy 5,
ref 2
3.  don't worry about the books that didn't get packed.  just pack them in a
different box
4.  when unpacking don't get bogged down with what is this?  put them to the
side and get the bulk of the books on the shelves and the boxes out of the
library.  Then go back and start working through that mountain.
5.  BREATHE
6.  It will get done  BREATHE
7.  Keep this E-mail, so you can curse, yell, and let off steam.

Packing is really important.  A good size standard box, not too large that
it cannot be moved when full.  When packing you think about how it will be
unpacked.  You put the beginning and ending call numbers on the boxes.  A
crew of eight packed our library of 23,000 books in a day and a half.  It is
really hard work but it cannot be done by anybody or by one person.  I got a
repetitive injury the last time.  Make sure you count shelves and know how
they will go back on the shelves.  By counting shelves you can have more
people unpacking at the same time.

I would highly recommend that you not pack the boxes too heavy and that you
mark them clearly on the outside. I would also be VERY careful with the
handfuls of books you take off the shelves and put into the boxes..the
repetivie motion and having your hand stretched to hold several books at a
time leads to cramping and tendon problems. Please be careful! We also
numbered the boxes to help the move crew who didn't understand the Dewey
system. for example E Aar-ada #1, E Aes - Ard #2. I'm sure you get the
idea...I would not try to do it yourself and anyone that you have to help I
would spend a lot of time training them so that they understand how to put
the books into the boxes so that it's easy to transfer them to the shelf.

If at all possible, hire professional library movers. They will pack up,
label boxes, etc. store the stuff if you need them too, and unpack and load
the shelves.

A quick suggestion.  Label all four sides and the tops of the boxes.  When
they are stacked, it is often impossible to see what is in a box without
moving many boxes.  We labeled the top and one side and regreted not taking
the little extra time to do all visible sides.

Amy Huang, Librarian
Notre Dame High School
596 S. Second St.
San Jose, CA 95112