Techie people:

Today when my Mac turned on I noticed that all of the icons on my desktop
had number codes instead of their correct titles (such as Alexandria,
ClarisWorks, etc.). They apparently reset to their code numbers (why?). My
email through Netscape also disappeared (along with all my email files).

Worst yet was that Alexandria did not open correctly, and we got a message
box asking for the registration data. We entered it all correctly, and it
did not work (this screen has never appeared upon opening for me before,
usually I get a password window). We finally got into an Alex window but it
did not recognize any barcodes for patrons or items, and there was no data
for anything under patrons or items. We tried the backup disc but couldn't
get anything from it either.

 Neither the very techie 6th grade teacher, our very techie custodian, our
computer lab aide, nor our principal (who is also quite techie) could
figure out what went wrong.

Everything worked fine yesterday. My principal suspects a virus but
everything else so far is working okay. I can still reach and modify my
ClarisWorks files.
We ran a virus scan and it came up negative. The only other variable was
that the district electricians were working on campus yesterday. I do have
a surge protector and it's working (brand new last month).

The computer lab (separate building) lost contact with the network this
morning also, but they are back up and running fine (although each station
had a message about a plug being disconnected). Our district tech person is
coming out tomorrow, but thought I'd see if anyone on this listserv had
some insight. I don't think the problem is really Alex, I suspect the
computer just cannot retrieve the data (which is in the tower just under my
desk, not on a district server).

Joanne Ladewig, Library Aide
Lawrence Elementary, G.G.U.S.D.
Garden Grove, California