Thanks so much to those of you who responded to my post looking for recommendations
for good grade book programs for our teachers.
Since I received requests for HITS, here goes...

I use Grade Machine from Misty City software
   http://www.mistycity.com/
   and it offers all I need for a HS chem class.
----------------------
Our school district has purchased Grade Quick (Jackson Software) which our teachers
like very much (once they actually use it).  We have Rediker administrative
software and report grades online.  We are a small rural district of about 1300
students K-12.  In grades 6-12 all teachers
use  Grade Quick to report grades online.  A few of our elementary teachers use it
off-network/stand alone, though now the program will produce elementary style
report cards.  I don't know the cost since we purchased it as Rediker customers.
The teacher training has been a struggle and we have had a few glitches.  This is
our second full year using GradeQuick.  Good luck with your research.
-------------------------

I use ClassMaster from W.K Bradford.

   http://www.wkbradford.com/titles/clms/clms.htm

   I like it because it is easy to use, affordable, and I can give
   students or principal info about their grades quickly.  And parents
   liked it because they could stop by and find out how their kids were
   doing.  I always had my grades ready for report cards on time and
   done in minutes.  I won't run my classroom with the program

   I also use Adobe Acrobat and can print their grades to PDF and email
   home to parents if needed.

   I have never used a paper grade book and found this to be quite
   simple.  They offer a great price on an annual site license.( good
   for at home also)  The program runs on both Mac's and Windows and
   files can be opened and worked on in both, so it's easy to take home
   or to another machine.  It does not post to a web site, but that may
   come later.
-------------------------
We use Easy Grade Pro district wide.  It is easy to set up and pretty
   easy to use.  We use ours on individual workstations and I believe there
   is now a version available that can be used online.
   I don't have pricing in front of me but the web site for information is
   http://www.orbissoft.com/
--------------
Our district uses Making the Grade from Jay Klein Productions in
   Colorado.  We have a site license at school, and they allow
   "work-at-home" copies.  The program is both powerful and easy to
   learn.  We've been with this company for years, and they've always
   been most helpful.

Michelle Walker, Librarian
Hamilton Union High School
Hamilton City, CA  95951