Hope everyone is having a great holiday and Happy New Year!
Here in the Bessemer/Birmingham area (and around the state of Alabama too)
there is a shortage of school librarians. We have openings for 2-3 librarians
in Bessemer alone. I just finished my degree (yeah!) and most of the students
in my classes fell into two groups....those who only wanted public library
jobs, and people like me, who already had a job as a school librarian and
just had to get the degree to keep the job.  That left VERY few getting the
degree and looking for a position in school libraries.  Now that I think
back, I only remember one student who asked if any body knew of an opening in
a school and she was snapped up quickly.
If your area/state is hard up for school librarians (K-12), do they do
anything to encourage teachers to go back and get a degree?  Some districts
in Alabama even help pay some of the costs for teachers earning a Library
Science degree (not MINE, of course...:-})
So just let me know how things are in your area/state. I would especially
love to see how things are in Georgia, Mississippi, and other nearby states
because many of their teachers come to Alabama to get their degrees.
Thanks for the info!
Jeanna Dennis, LMS
C.F. Hard Elementary
Bessemer, AL