Our district, also, restricts the showing of motion pictures other than
those rated "G" requiring a parental signature. However, only motion
pictures, and now some television shows are rated. You can check out the
Motion Picture Association of America web site (see below). I do not worry,
per se, about media that is not rated by this group. Those feature films
that we do have, which are related to classroom novels, etc. which are
taught -  I note in the MARC record, and promently on the box, what the
rating is.

Best practices tells us a teacher should preview any media they are going to
use. Have them note if there is anything inappropriate on the media, and
report to you. At my school one video on Ancient Greece discusses in some
detail naked athletes competing in the [original] Olympics. We have noted
that and where it is located [time point on the tape] promently on the box.
I certainly wouldn't take it on by myself to label each video. What happens
if someone uses it and disagrees?

The larger issue is for what purpose a teacher would show a feature film. If
it relates to classroom instuction you're probably OK, however the showing
of motion pictures for a reward could [and most likely is] a violation of
copyright.

http://www.mpaa.org/home.htm

John Lees
John Lees, Librarian