I have been watching this discussion thread and decided I had to add my two
cents.  I agree we want materials circulating---but teachers also need to be
responsible. I have been a librarian for 17 years and over the years have had
many experiences with teachers loosing items.  Most teachers will find the
items--eventually.  The decision for teachers to pay is not mine. In my
district it is the principals decision. So far I have not found many
principals that do not want the teachers to pay.  The first year I was
librarian (I was a teacher at the same school) I kept my the teachers
informed of what they had out.  Since I did inventory at the end of the year,
it was a natural thing to send out lists of things they had out.  Most
teachers do fine....others seem to have a problem.  Most teachers realize it
is not me it is simply the policy. I have found a few things that help
teachers.  If they check out large numbers of books, I offer suggestions on
keeping track of the books. Teachers can get a print out of items out simply
by asking. I do not count base ten blocks or game pieces however if a teacher
returns an empty box I do ask where the pieces are.  Usually at least once a
semester I print out a list of items out with a friendly note to return items
they are finished with.  This gives the teachers a chance to start looking
for items. In May as teachers return items I immediately do a new print out
(to check myself and to give them immediate feedback). I encourage the
teachers to tell me if they are missing items. I search the library (I am
first to admit we are not perfect) and then I compile a "Missing In Action
List". I distribute the list of missing items to the staff. It is amazing how
teachers borrow things and forget. Several items were located by para's who
had been given the material to work with a small group and forgot to return
them.  When we (I try to make it a team effort) have searched every where, I
print a list of missing items and make an appointment to visit the principal.
I do this because I want the principal (since it is her decision) to be aware
of what is missing. Most principals I have worked with are not tyrants--I
often suggest that we overlook a missing item. I also try to make sure the
prices listed for replacement are reasonable.  If a teacher tells me that a
student had a book and did not return it  and has a card or list then this is
treated like a textbook and the child is charged --not the teacher. Most
teachers are able to locate items (as they clean their closets, etc). Those
who don't do pay ---many find the items during the summer and get a refund.
I have also had teachers who knew the book was somewhere at home or in their
closet. Since we are automated I have renewed the book with a due date for
the next year---this usually gives the teacher time to find it and has been a
great public relations. Teachers  know I am not hounding them but trying to
help them locate the item. Last year I  had a unique situation. The skills
teachers and assistant principals had checked out items for and delivered
them to the teachers. You guessed it. Teacher A had Teacher b's book and
Teacher c had teacher A's book.  This was like a puzzle. It ended with one
teachers book missing.  She was crushed. I sent out my Missing in Action List
and surprise her book was returned. Teacher E had the book and thought it
belonged to the assistant principal.  This year we did not do this. I hope my
message makes sense. I guess what I am trying to say is Yes my teachers
pay---but only after We have done everything We can to find the item. I must
say the number of items lost by teachers has decreased. However my
circulation to teachers is higher than ever before. I hope this helps.

Anna Russell
Thompson Elementary
Librarian
Alibrarian@aol.com