Day 15 and still the fire dragon moves on through the landscape with a
hunger that cannot be satisfied.

And, as if in contempt of the puny efforts of mere mortals to quell the
beast, Mother Nature continues to frustrate their efforts with hot, gusty
winds and soaring temperatures.

Last night, she sent a breeze from the east to carry the smoke back over the
city sky, as though to have a blank canvas for her own fireworks display
that was to come.  And as if to show those who dared to rival her with the
New Year's Eve pyrotechnics over Sydney Harbour, she sent a show that lasted
for hours and could be seen for hundreds of kilometres.  High rise
buildings, rolling landscapes were no deterrent for those not close at hand
on the harbour foreshore.

So the lightning flashed and the thunder boomed around the sky like the drum
roll of a giants' army on the march and every now and then, she threw a
handful of rain to the peasants below, as if teasing them with her largesse.

"Pray for rain?" she asked.  "I'll answer your prayers, but not enough has
been sacrificed yet in exchange for the damage you have deliberately done to
me for me to deliver all that you want." So the rain did nothing but hamper
back-burning efforts as tired and weary firies worked through the night to
create some defences against the 100+ temps we are expecting today, fanned
by strong winds, and the lightning started a number of new fires!

And so the saga continues with no end in sight - but the spirit of community
and determination remain strong and hopefully Mother Nature will show some
mercy soon and see we have suffered enough and send some real relief.

Kia ora
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian