Greetings!

This is my second year in an inner city school in which 30% of the students
are second language learners (spanish is the primary language).  Due to the
philosophy of our bilingual program, we are not allowed to introduce the
written english language to primary spanish speakers until they are reading
on a 3rd grade level in spanish.  I do not speak spanish.  Story hours are
doable (but not ideal) with this program but I am becoming frustrated with
the our research program because it is difficult to teach information skills
to children with limited english skills and impossible for me to help edit
and revise their work because they write in spanish!  Fortunately, the
teacher must accompany students to the library when they are researching a
topic.  It does make me wonder what I'm supposed to be doing, though!  I can
find resources that probably have the information for the students (I have
become quite handy with a Spanish-English dictionary...I consider it my one
opportunity to model an information skill!) but am unable to show them how
to use them!  I would be interested in hearing from librarians in similiar
situations.   Aside from learning spanish (not an option at this point), do
you have any helpful tips on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Loretta Johnson, LMS
Seymour Magnet School
Syracuse, NY 13204