Dear Friends,
I want to thank all who sent me their favorite books of 2001.  My final list
will appear on or about January 19, so send me your votes - for other titles
or for the ones below! This list can include any childrens books published
this year whether eligible for medals or not.

I was wrong about the date for the ALA medals. They will be announced on
Monday, January 21st.  My thanks to Raymond Barber for setting me right.

Joan Kimball
Retired from Hart's Hill School Library, Whitesboro NY
Storyteller, Book Reviewer for "Library Talk"
Concord, Mass.   978-318-0991   Kimballjoan@aol.com

Thank you to the following for sending their titles for this first draft:
Yapha Mason, Jody C. Newman, Kelly Kowalchuk, Nancy Riemer Kellner, M.
Fontaine

LM-NET's BEST BOOKS OF 2001, as of Jan. 6, 2002

PRIMARY
Bunting, Eve. Jin Woo. Chris K. Soentpiet, Ill.
Crummel, Susan Stevens. And the Dish Ran Away With the Spoon. Stevens, Janet,
Ill.
Doyle, Roddy. Rover Saves Christmas. Brian Ajhar, Ill.
Edwards, Pamela Duncan.  Boston Tea Party. Henry Cole, Ill.
Ehlert, Lois. Waiting for Wings.
Falconer, Ian. Olivia Saves the Circus.
Hopkinson, Deborah. Fannie in the Kitchen: The Whole Story from Soup to Nuts
About How Fannie Farmer Invented Recipes with Precise Measurements. Nancy
Carpenter, Ill.
Napoli, Donna Jo. Albert. Jim Lamarche, Ill.
Rappaport, Doreen. Martin's Big Words: The Life of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Brian Collier, Ill.
Scieszka, Jon. Baloney (Henry P.). Lane Smith, Ill.
Spinelli, Eileen. Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale. Jane Dyer, Ill.
Stewart, Sarah. The Journey. David Small, Ill.
Ward, Helen.  The Tin Forest. Wayne Anderson, Ill.
Wiesner, David. The Three Pigs.

INTERMEDIATE
Brady, Laurel Stowe. Say You Are My Sister.
Clements, Andrew. The School Story.
Haddix, Margaret Peterson. Among the Imposters.
Harrison, Troon. Bushel of Light.
Hesse, Karen. Witness.
Holmes, Barbara Ware.  Following Fake Man.
Lester, Julius. When Dad Killed Mom.
Levine, Gail Carson. The Two Princesses of Bamarre.
Townley, Roderick. The Great Good Thing.

YA
Brashares, Ann. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
Cabot, Meg. The Princess Diaries, vol. II: Princess in the Spotlight.
Cormier, Robert. Rag and Bone Shop.
Crutcher, Chris. Whale Talk.
Deans, Sis. Racing the Past.
Ferris, Jean. Of Sound Mind.
Fleischman, Paul. Seek.
Napoli, Donna.  Three Days.
Olson, John B. and Randall Ingermanson.  Oxygen: a Mission Gone Desperately
Wrong...
Salisbury, Graham.  Lord of the Deep.
Wittlinger, Ellen. Razzle.
Wolff, Virginia Euwer. True Believer.