At 12:09 PM 1/7/02, Allyson Cogan wrote:

>One librarian told of having received a sample magazine to a different
>publication - a "male type" magazine.  She then received another one and
>noticed that there was a one year subscription.  Upon calling the publisher
>she learned the magazine had been purchased in the school's name by someone
>from another state quite a distance away.
>
>Is this a trend?

I hope not, but could be... Some people have more money than sense.

>  My principal just threw the magazine away, I suggested
>that I should contact the publisher to voice my concerns.  She feels this is
>unnecessary.  Someone else on LM_NET has suggested this as well.  I may try
>to find out the address, possibly from the web site from home and contact
>them.  I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

I would agree with you. Although it is hard to think of a porn publisher as
reputable, they are still in business to make money. Even though the
subscription is a "gift" they ought to cancel it upon request. I suppose
you could ask that the balance be refunded to you, but that may be
stretching things for them. Be happy if they just cancel the subscription.

Be sure that your cancellation request is written on school letterhead, and
make several copies of the finished letter. Also include the address label.
If the subscription isn't cancelled in a reasonable length of time (3-4
months is not uncommon) you may need to turn over copies of your letter and
the magazine to local law enforcement people. They generally take a dim
view of unsolicited porn, especially when it goes to a school.

Remember that many magazines prepare address labels several months in
advance, so it may take some time before the magazine stops. BTW, that is
also why it takes so long to get a subscription started - addressing is
done 3-4 months in advance!

David Lininger, kb0zke
LMS, Hickory County R-1 Schools
Urbana, MO 65767