Hi ...

This might be of interest to some Sacramento-area LM_NET members:

-----------------------
"How Children Understand Crime," presentation by Dr. Gabrielle Guedet,
Saturday, January 19, 2002.
Thought is different when you are 4 years old or 11 years old. Our adult
understanding of events, or situations is dependent on our ability to put
meaning to the event or situation. Some of our ability to put meaning to
events occurs due to our having life experience, some of our ability is due
to our ability to reason and understand. If our ability to reason and/or
understand has been interfered with by our experience, than our
understanding of events or situations may be arrested at a certain age and
we may not be able to see beyond that.
For writers of mystery fiction it is important to understand how the moral
development of a child evolves; how that child understands what is a crime;
and how does the child's past or present experience effect that
understanding. Gabrielle Guedet, Ph.D., will discuss "How Children
Understand Crime" at our January meeting. Dr. Guedet is a psychologist in
private practice in Sacramento who has been working in various areas
concerning children, their development, and their mental health issues for
approximately 25+ years.
(Summary provided by Dr. Guedet.)
Location: Rancho Cordova branch of Sacramento Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd.
Time: meeting starts at 1:00 P.M. and ends by 3:00 P.M.
-------------------------

This is a meeting of the Sacramento "Capitol Crimes" chapter of Sisters in
Crime, a national organization of female mystery writers and of their
readers. Dr. Guedet is a member (a reader/fan, not a mystery writer).  The
February meeting (Saturday February 16, same time and place) is tentatively
scheduled to feature a panel of chapter members who are authors of
children's mystery books.  That might also be of interest to school
librarians.  You can contact me at kumbach@unlimited.net for more
information and to confirm the February meeting agenda, if interested.

Ken

Kenneth W. Umbach, Ph.D., Policy Analyst
California Research Bureau, California State Library
900 N Street, Suite 300, Sacramento, CA 95814
kumbach@unlimited.net (or kumbach@library.ca.gov)
voice: 916-653-6002 fax: 916-654-5829
Web page and selected papers: http://home.inreach.com/kumbach
This message reflects my opinion, not that of my employer or anyone else