Hi,
  I have to share what Laura Bush (yes, THAT Laura Bush) had to say tonight
at the grand opening gala of our newly expanded public library.  She
mentioned the popular stereotype of the bun and sensible shoe wearing
librarian.  She said we don't wear buns and sensible shoes but right about
then she wished she were wearing the sensible shoes (she was in 3 inch
heels).

Well, I was really wanting to share the wonderful day we've had here in
Topeka and so I thank Jeanna for providing me with an excuse.

Because of her long-time girlhood friendship with one of our state
legislators Mrs. Bush accepted the invitation to come to Topeka and help
dedicate and celebrate the opening of our new facility.

This morning she participated in the ribbon cutting ceremony of the new
youth services areas.   Last spring schools in the area participated in a
fundraising project where businesses and others made donations for every
book read in order to pay for new trees to be planted.   Each school who had
a sponsored tree was invited to send a student along with either the
librarian or principal (thankfully, my principal let me go).  Five students,
mine was one, were selected to actually do the ribbon cutting with our
governor's wife, library officials, and Mrs. Bush.   The best part, for me,
was when she addressed the children and told them exactly what I tell them
all the time : that if you want to be a better reader you have to practice
it, that it's like playing football or a musical instrument, if you don't
practice you don't get better.  YESSSS!!!!

 Tonight a gala reception was held at the library for donors, board members,
politicians, etc. (the local glitterati).  I got to go because a friend is
on the board of the Friends of the Library and took me as her guest (it's
not what you know, it's who you know).  It was a wonderful evening.   In
addition to her remarks about librarian stereotypes and praise for the new
library, she addressed the issue of trying to recruit new librarians to the
profession.   According to Mrs. Bush, her husband is planning on an
initiative for the 2003 fiscal year that will address that problem.
YEAHH!!!

Sorry for the long post but I'm really still "high" on the wonderful day.
Thanks for letting me share.

Joanne Proctor, Librarian
Most Pure Heart of Mary School
Topeka, KS