The following is a message from my sister, FYI--

http://www.nucleus.com/~cmiller

I purchased a CD at the Houston International Quilt Festival last week.
Above is the home page for the singer/writer Cathy Miller. My CD was
quilting songs and am enjoying it a lot.

One of the songs on the CD is "Follow the Stars to Freedom" - A
spiritual
about the use of quilts by the Underground Railway that served as maps
Canada. This song is based on the book "Hidden in Plain View", which is
marvellous exploration of quilting designs used by slaves in their quest
for
freedom.

I thought this might be something a teacher might want to use to help
with
Black history month or a discussion of the the underground railroad.

Another song is the Rajah Quilt - The only surviving convict ship quilt
made
by transportees to Australia in 1841. Thanks to Elizabeth Fry, each
female
prisoner was provided with a bundle of sewing supplies to help in their
rehabilitation, and taught how to quilt! They made this quilt on board
the
Rajah, the ship that took them to Van Diemen's Land. It was discovered
in
1989 in a Scottish attic. Of recent interest: in 1996 the Ottawa Valley
Quilters Guild created an emulation of the Rajah quilt in Canada and
donated
it to the Elizabeth Fry Society in honour of their 45th anniversary. It
can
be viewed in their offices in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

--

Mary Croix Ludwick   B.B. Owen Elementary K-5
Lewisville ISD,  The Colony, Texas (near Dallas)