These are the positive responses I received regarding the AlphaSmarts;the =
less than positive responses for some reason won't copy to this.  So if =
you are interested in those, please email me at arichards@chemawa.bia.edu=
=20

Many schools have classroom sets of Applesmarts that the students use for =
word-processing.  I think they work well with teachers who are technologica=
lly savvy.

I have one for personal use, as well as know people who have them for =
special=20
education.  I and the previous postings all agree, they are great.  Go for =
it!

We mostly have students checking them out on an individual basis.  =
Sometimes
teachers will check out a classroom set.  I have had no problems with =
them.
They are a very good alternative to computers if all you need is word
processing.

They are great.  Have him buy all you can.

They are the most economical keyboard devices available.  Durable,=20
easy on batteries, very functional.  The display is the only less=20
than wonderful feature.

I am a librarian in an elementary school that has over 100 of these
wonderful additions to our curriculum.  Not only do they give more access =
computers to students, they are portable, and good when students are =
trying
to compose their thought.  Downloading is so much easier than the
DreamWriter that the students can do it by themselves.  It can download on
both Mac and PC.

My daughter has one at college which she uses for note taking in a neat =
way.
Keyboarding can also be added to an AlphaSmart to make a lab free for
research.  Our teachers fight over them in the intermediate grades!
I strongly endorse the product which has been quick to repair the few =
times
problems have come up.
Can you tell, I'm their main cheerleader in our area.
Good Luck with your decision.

They are the most economical keyboard devices available.  Durable,=20
easy on batteries, very functional.  The display is the only less=20
than wonderful feature.

We are a 2-5 elementary school and just got a set of AlphaSmarts this=20
fall.  We have 30 keyboards, a storage unit w/chargers, a laptop and=20
printer to which the text can be downloaded.  The 4 & 5 teachers use =
them=20
all the time and love them!  The schedule is always full.

The ONLY problem we have had is files "disappearing" from the keyboards=20
(each one stores up to 8 different files).  We're pretty sure students =
have=20
erased them on purpose.  The teachers have started downloading large =
files=20
to disk to prevent the loss of student work.  You can also password =
protect=20
the files, but we haven't gone to that yet.

Been using them for years.  Very good for word processing and keyboarding
skill instruction since it frees up computers.
We LOVE them!!  We have over 50 and they are always checked out of the
library.  Ask for batteries to go with them.

We have used Alpha Smarts at our elementary school for about 5 years now.
They are constantly used and have held up well, I only think we have had
one in for service. The kids find them easy to use and easy to transfer
information. Ours are the original variety and I imagine the new ones are
much better! I keep them in the library (we have 10 of them for our 530
students) and the students check them out on a one-day loan. If they need
them longer, I ask their teacher to be responsible for them. They DO NOT
go home!! I have heard of schools purchasing a class set and keeping them
on a trolley, which also seems like a good idea, although our budget will
not allow this right now.=20

I wrote a grant and received 10 Alpha Smarts for my library this past
year.  They have worked beautifully for us.  They have held up well, and
we are still on the first set of batteries in all of them!  Lots of kids
come in to the library to use them to word process when the computers
are tied up by other students.  I purchased  carrying cases for each one
and I allow the students to check them out overnight. So far no
problems.....I love them.  FYI: Our keyboarding instructor uses
"Dreamwriters"  in his class and they have been a NIGHTMARE
 =20
We have one for every student 3 -5 gr and love them!  We started with sets =
on=20
carts so classes could check them out and use them for a couple of hours =
a=20
day or days a week depending on the schedule. This is still what we do =
for=20
the early grades since they don't have the demand. The upper grades find =
them=20
to be useful on a daily basis. Students can then down load on the =
classroom=20
computer or in one of the labs.  We also have a couple of printers they =
can=20
go directly to if needed.=20

Our schools love them.  We have carts of thirty, both in the library
and in a couple of English class rooms. We also have 20 or 25 with =
carrying
cases that we check out individually to students from the library. The =
kids
are usually careful with them. They work well and are good for our =
students
who live on the reservation and don't have access to computers. The kids =
use
lots of batteries so we have to budget for batteries.  We've only had one
little accident with one when a student spilled a glass of water on it.  =
We
dried it out and it's still ticking. Sometimes the keypads get a little =
quirk
but we just fix them or send them in--not many of them though. They're =
tough
and fun for the kids to use. The teachers have to be continually "reminded"=

to assign an AlphaSmart to each student and make each responsible for it
because they steal the batteries.  They're cool tools!

We have 7 that we check out EVERY night to high school students.  They
use them to complete papers.  We upload mornings before school.

I bought an alphasmart for my daughter. It is a handy little device, she
thinks that it is particularly handy if you are on a "trip or stuff". I =
find
that it is nice that she can type up a report or whatever without tying up
one of our computers. I wouldn't mind having one for myself. I met a woman
at a conference that was using one for taking some notes. She would go =
home
and load the notes into word and do the formatting. They are pretty
indestructible so they take the abuse of being lugged around.
I have not used them in school but my son has been using one for three=20
years.  They are tough and they easily download to either a PC or a MAC =
word=20
processing program with the right attachment cord.  The screen is small =
and=20
this really necessitates the student editing once downloaded to a =
computer,=20
it will not go directly to a printer.  We also have the rechargeable =
battery=20
so we plug it in overnight once a week, the battery has lasted three =
years=20
so far and is just beginning to show signs of weakening.  We have some =
more=20
expensive word processors at school that we check out (I think brothers) =
and=20
they cause some compatibility problems and cost three times more.

We have 62 AlphaSmart 3000s and love them. We have a set of 30 in a
rolling card, plus 32 with cases that kids (and teachers) can check out
overnight or while the kids are learning to keyboard for practice at home.
They are wonderful! If you have other questions about them, let me know.

We have 5 in the library and all are constantly checked out by students =
who
have no word processing at home. One downside: we have to print our their
work. I charge per page, though.

Great machines.  The kids really like them and they are very durable.  The
only problem we had with ours was with the infrared connection-- never =
could
get it to work.  I suggest the keyboard cable (for Windows 95) or the USB
cable (Win 98 and Mac).  We keep 5 computers with the cables attached in =
the
library for fast downloads and 5 cables for checkout.

Our school district has AlphaSmarts k-12. Our lower grades keyboard, our
middle grades do spelling/homework, and our high school students are =
allowed
to even check them out overnight. We have had them for 5+ years and have =
yet
to have a student damage one. We bought the carrying cases for them for
overnight. We love them.

We have a cart with 30 Alpha Smarts in the library. Teachers can check
them out for a whole class and students can check them out overnight.  We
also have a computer and printer on a cart so the teacher can take that to
his/her room also for students to download and print.

First, you need to have a good checkout policy. We have the students'
parents sign a permission form, which we keep on file.  We state in there
the replacement price, so they know what they are getting into.  We let
them and the students know up front that if they are late returning the
AS, there is a $5 a day fine.  And it must be returned before first period
in case a teacher wants to check out the whole cart!]

They work great for us.