I have been asked to post a hit for my request for AP Literature reading
lists.  I did not receive a lot of replies, but this is what I got.
Be sure to look at the attachment since this list is the most comprehensive
I've seen.

If you are looking for contemporary lit to add to your list, I suggest
titles by Toni Morrison (thought the themes are usually heavy, dark, and
mature), also "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver was fantastic.
I've also thought that some John Irving novels would make for great class
discussion, but he also includes some mature themes in his books. "The Cider
House Rules" is phenomenal, but deals with abortion, which you may not want
to get into; "A Prayer for Owen Meany" is also wonderful.

How about using the ALA Books for the College Bound list as a starting
point? Also the official AP people put out their own list.

I created a website based on the previous HIT of AP books that
someone posted in 1998.  You can find it (including links to literature
online) here:   http://www.u46.k12.il.us/bhs/library/booklists.htm
I'd love to be able to update it, including more contemporary novels,

I think the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover should be added to the
list.

Sue Johnston
CHS Library
Aberdeen, SD